Girl In The Road Winter
Girl In The Road Winter
Anna Thetard / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

Everything You Need to Know About Seasonal Affective Disorder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

Daylight Savings Time affects people in different ways. Some people, like my mother, love it—the earlier it gets dark, the earlier she can justify getting into bed! Others, such as I, aren’t as big of a fan of the sun setting at 5 pm every day.

If you have ever noticed a change in your mood that happens around this time, it might not just be a case of the “winter blues”. Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is a mood disorder that can affect even those who do not face mental health issues, most commonly in the winter.

Some of the symptoms of SAD for the Fall/Winter Season include oversleeping, appetite changes, (especially a craving for foods high in carbohydrates) changes in weight, tiredness, low energy, or feeling sluggish or agitated.

The specific cause of SAD is unknown, but factors that are attributed to the cause include your biological clock (Daylight Savings), melatonin levels, and serotonin levels.

It is very normal to have an “off day” where you just feel down, but if the feelings continue for days at a time where you’re lacking motivation to complete normal daily activities, you might want to consider seeing a doctor. SAD is much more common than people are aware of but is often overlooked. If you’ve been experiencing these symptoms you can check out mayoclinic.org or see a doctor for more information! 

Leigh Poteat is a writer for Her Campus at Furman University. She is a psychology major from Columbia, South Carolina. She is a firm believer of women supporting women and finding new and creative ways that we can support that! She loves good wine, great coffee, and collecting candles!
Mackenzie Smith is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Furman University. She is a senior majoring in Public Health with a minor in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Mackenzie has a passion for making sure women feel empowered and important throughout all stages of life which can be seen through her work with Girlology and The Homeless Period Project.