This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

It’s finally cold at Furman and cuffing season is rapidly approaching! Cuffing season is the time of year when singles begin to look for a significant other to keep them company during the fall/winter months. I created an Instagram questions poll to ask my friends and followers what their ideal cuffing season date would be for your enjoyment and inspiration. Here are my top 10 favorite responses!  

1. Ice skating in Downtown Greenville

[photo courtesy of Mike Nice]

This was the most suggested date idea from my Instagram poll. I personally am not a fan of this because the ice skating rink was so small that the herd of children around me could smell my fear and I was continuously run over. However, this option is extremely photo friendly and provides a great excuse for an insta pic. You also get to snuggle your date for warmth!

2. Going to get flu shots

While the fall and winter months bring cuffing season, we also have to be on the lookout for flu season. To feel safe swapping spit for the next few months, head to the infirmary and book an appointment to get flu shots! You’ll thank me later.

3. Baking those seasonal sugar cookies with the pictures on them (you know the ones)

[photo courtesy of ronnyg on flickr]

This is an excellent option for those who want a rewarding date with minimal effort involved. The best part is you can do this in the comfort of your North Village kitchen. Heat up some cookies and pick out a movie on Netflix and see where things go. Remember: if the Netflix leads to “chill” make sure it’s consensual.

4. Vote in the midterm elections

Amazing. Who cares if you have conflicting political views? Go vote together anyways!

5. Go for a drive and look at the Christmas lights at Roper Mountain

Roper Mountain offers a tunnel of lights for you to walk through or a 1.5 mile drive for those who, like me, wish to stay warm. Feel free to take the opportunity for a little car make out sesh when traffic backs up, but be on the lookout for families with young children. They are most likely not fans of PDA.

6. Visit the Speedway on Poinsett Hwy to fill up on Juul pods

(Warning: the long-term effects of the Juul are not yet known and Juul pods contain nicotine)

Nothing says, “we’re keeping it casual” like a trip to the gas station!

7. Start a fire behind North Village to make s’mores and stay warm (Don’t tell FUPO!)

Weird flex but okay… I think this option is great for those who want a cozy romantic night in the comfort of your own backyard. If you are too lazy (or get busted) another way to get in your s’mores fix is to roast marshmallows over the stovetop.

Disclaimer: I swear I’ve seen someone do this, but now that I’m thinking about it this could go wrong. Farmhouse Tacos in TR has amazing s’mores on their dessert menu, so try that instead!

9. Apple picking

[photo courtesy of Natalie Collins]

Being from Naples, Florida I am no expert in apple picking. I learned the hard way that if you don’t get this out of the way sooner rather than later there will be no apples left and you may have to wait 30 minutes in line for the donuts. I would personally rank the donuts a 10/10 for tastiness, but you have to brave the cold to get them so dress accordingly.

10. Denver Downs Farm

Denver Downs Farm is a working farm devoted to agri-tourism and entertainment. The Polar Express is going to be shown at their drive-in movie on November 23rd. Check out their website for other events!

Honorable mention: Buy fluffy handcuffs and physically cuff your significant other to your bed

Because nothing says cuffing season like using actual handcuffs. Try hitting up Pandora’s Boxxx down the road or Amazon Prime. Big fan.

Even if cuffing season is not for you, grab a group of friends and go try some of these or practice self-care and do something alone for a much-needed break! Don’t feel pressured to be tied down to someone just because it’s cold out. Even if you and the person you’re talking to aren’t “Facebook official” it doesn’t mean you have to limit your time together to the bedroom. Keep your activities fun, safe, and consensual no matter what! 

Maddie is a senior at Furman University majoring in music on the Pre-PA track. After completing a gap year she hopes to attend PA school and work in women’s health. When she’s not studying science or playing the flute in marching band, you can usually find her snuggling her dog named Ruepert with a glass of cabernet watching reality TV shows.