This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

Remember when life didn’t feel hard or painful? That sounds dramatic, but genuinely: when was the last time you remembered not feeling lethargic? Or, more simply, when was the last time you were truly excited for something? Remember how we were so excited to go on a field trip, or to wear a new outfit to school, or for your upcoming birthday? When was the last time in your life when you felt truly at peace or had childlike happiness?

The “Inner Child” is known as each person’s childlike aspect. Everyone has one, and it refers to the creative, excited, and innocent part of our psyche that we begin our lives with, before life’s circumstances wear us down. Traditionally, everyone’s inner child is wounded by childhood experiences. For some, this comes from types of abuse from parents and caretakers. Other times, this comes from negative experiences where we experience a lack of love from others. Basically, our inner child is suppressed when we experience something damaging or traumatic, or when we are kept from experiencing certain emotions. 

As people are forced to spend time with themselves in quarantine, there has been an increased conversation on what our inner child is and how to connect to it, and how to heal it if it has been wounded. Here are some ways to connect to your purest and most raw version of yourself, the Inner Child:

1. Therapy

Yeah, I know. For some, this is a viable option and can genuinely help you improve your life and connect with yourself. A lot of therapists are meeting with people virtually, but if you’re looking for a cheaper alternative, Talkspace is a great online option and is totally affordable. 

2. Revisit Childhood Memories

Go through old pictures! A lot of times we smile at old pictures of ourselves because we remember how fun and painless life really used to be. Take some time to intentionally connect with the older version of yourself, and remember that that person is still inside of you. 

3. Do Things You Used to Enjoy

Coloring books are a great place to start. When was the last time you spent hours mindlessly coloring in between the lines? The possibilities are truly endless here and are unique to you. Rent a bike from downtown Greenville, order some roller skates on Amazon, or spend some time outdoors! 

4. Start a Dialogue with Your Inner Child

This one seems pretty out there, but is the quickest way to truly understand your inner child and where it may have been wounded in the past. You can do this by writing a letter to your inner child, or simply by talking to your inner child. A great example of this is in this video by Amy Lee. Take time to communicate with your past self, and to honor where you are now. 

5. Guided Meditations 

There are plenty available online, but I recommend this one by Rising Woman. Essentially these meditations guide yourself to create a safe space for your inner child to exist once again. 

It is so important to realize that the process of growing up creates the person we are today. We are hardened by experiences we had as children, and are so busy adapting to the future adults we are told to be and lose our vitality. Take some time to connect to your inner child, they’ll thank you. 

Hailey Wilcox is the Editor-in-Chief and one of the two Campus Correspondents of Her Campus at Furman University. She is a senior Educational Studies major, and hopes to pursue a Master's in Applied Behavior Analysis. Aside from Her Campus, she is President of Alpha Phi Omega, a co-ed community service fraternity. Her passions include self-care, helping her communities, and makeup!