This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

Personally, I had no idea that audio porn even existed, never mind that it was a genre of porn or that it is regarded by many as the next big trend in the porn industry. Audio porn is an alternative to mainstream porn, meaning that there are no visuals and no moving images, it is a purely auditory experience. For those of you out there who are tired of the problematic porn industry and are looking for a more ethical approach to your pleasure, audio porn may be just what you’re looking for. 

Dipsea is essentially a subscription-based audio library that is home to hundreds of short, but very sweet, narrative audio stories for a variety of purposes. The content on the Dipsea app is described as, “short, sexy audio stories that spark your imagination, get you in the mood, and immerse you in a story”. Dipsea is meant to provide a resource for those looking for sexual inspiration, wellness, and empowerment. Dipsea even generates customized audio stories based on what you’re doing and how you want to feel (see below).

The storylines in the app’s library are meant to create immersive surroundings that take you to the place being described. Dipsea only publishes real, feminist, and inclusive storylines that range in explicitness. The app not only offers a wide range of audio erotica, but they also have guided meditations led by sex and wellness experts, lighter material to get you in the mood to go out on a date or a night out, and a section that provides tips and advice on masturbation and dirty talk.

One of Dipsea’s founders, Gina Gutierrez (pictured above: left) was inspired by the app, Headspace, a library of guided meditations and mindfulness techniques. Gutierrez sought out to create a similar space with the intention of putting women at the center of these stories and using these storylines to help listeners reconnect with their sexuality. 

Audio porn has gained so much popularity because it allows the listener to use their imagination and cater the storyline to their personal lives, needs, and experiences. It helps personalize the experience and does not subject them to the many downsides of the mainstream porn industry including the projection of an ideal body type or the male gaze that dictates the storyline, unless the listener wants those things. Many listeners appreciate that some of the sexist, racist, and misogynistic terms that can be found in mainstream porn are not present in the world of audio porn.

Dipsea is a sex-positive space for those who appreciate a good storyline. The audio files on the app are experiences that provide an introduction that sets the scene, rising action that incites anticipation and excitement, the small details of a story that make it feel so real, the noises and sounds of everyday life that we all know so well, and the eventual grand finale that plays out in our imaginations. Whether or not you’ve dabbled in audio porn before, Dipsea is a great place to start. The message behind the brand is spot on and it can potentially serve as a refreshing break from the uninspiring nature of mainstream porn. 

Happy listening!

Gabrielle is a Campus Correspondent and Social Media Editor at Furman University's chapter of HerCampus. She is a senior Communication Studies and French double major who loves vintage clothes, a well-curated pinterest board, and being a part of the HerCampus community!