Women in Leadership Conference 2019: The Event All Women Should Be Attending

The Women in Leadership are making their way back to Florida State’s campus this Thursday, Mar. 7, for the sixth annual conference that aims to inspire, learn and engage. The Women in Leadership Conference is one of FSU’s most beloved events that allows students of all majors to listen in on and participate in conversations concerning the challenges that women face in life and the workforce, while also learning techniques to overcome those various trials and tribulations.

This unique function includes a myriad of workshops and over an hour-long panel featuring some of the most powerful and professional women in our area. These leaders have tried, failed and ultimately succeeded in their businesses, academic lives, educational roles and leadership positions. Luckily for attendees, these women are looking to share all of their insights and secrets, so students will be armed with the strategies and confidence to overcome the hurdles that they will surely face when ascending into future leadership roles of their own.

Courtesy: CCI FSU

So, what can attendees expect from the 2019 Women in Leadership Conference? The answer to that is a whole lot of workshops filled with undeniably valuable information. There will be two 40-minute workshop sessions in which conference-goers will be able to choose from a wide selection of workshop topics such as Public Speaking, Mapping Career Strategy, Advocacy, Work-Life Balance, Finance 101, Civic Engagement, Negotiations, Tech Careers and Engaging your LOCAL Community. Afterward, there will be an hour-and-15-minute panel featuring Leon County Judge Nina Ashenafi-Richardson, Associate Vice President for University Relations Kathleen Daly, Leon County Commissioner Kristin Dozier and State Representative Holly Raschein. Bios for all speakers and panelists can also be found on the CCI Women in Leadership page.

Finally, to wrap up the Women in Leadership Conference, there will be an hour-long Mentors and Mixer session where attendees are encouraged to mingle and network with the professionals from both the workshops and the informational panel. Past attendees have noted that the mixer is a great chance to approach the speakers who inspired you throughout the conference. It’s also incredibly important to come prepared with questions to ask the panelists and to be ready to answer questions about yourself and your interests as well. Bringing a few resume copies is also a good idea.

Something to keep in mind if you plan on attending is to dress professionally as you will be workshopping and interacting with other business professionals, as well as representing Florida State University by association. Additionally, be prepared to wait in lines to meet with the panelists as the event is quite popular. The connections you make are guaranteed to be worth the wait!

The Women in Leadership Conference schedule is as follows:

3:30-4:00 p.m. – Registration

4:00-4:40 p.m. – Workshops

4:50-5:30 p.m. – Workshops

5:45-7:00 p.m. – Main Panel

7:00-8:00 p.m. – Mixer/Mentors

All conference activities will take place at the Turnbull Conference Center at 555 W Pensacola St, Tallahassee, FL 32306. If you have any further questions concerning this event, reference the CCI website or contact their offices at (850)-644-3801.

Tawnie Simpson is a Senior Editing, Writing, and Media student at Florida State University. She enjoys (needs) a good cup of cold brew, she comes from a small town nobody knows called "about an hour south of Tampa" and she is often mistaken for 10-year-old Lindsay Lohan, but she's not complaining.
Her Campus at Florida State University.