Having just finished up the last of the Thanksgiving leftovers, we’re officially moving into the winter season! Here’s everything you need to keep this season a holly jolly one:

Get Cozy

Wood Wicked Candles

Courtesy of All the Stories

Let’s face it: fireplaces in Florida are rare, but a fireplace in a college student’s apartment is even rarer. Wood-wicked candles make it easy to pretend you’re snuggled up by a fire. And the best part: you can get them in all different scents! You can even get them with a campfire scent if you’re really committed to a make-shift fireplace. You can pretty much find them at any department store, just be careful if you choose to walk past the Christmas section at Target because you might walk out with a whole cart! Or, if you’re looking for a night in with friends, you can even make your own candles with kits from Wooden Wick– they even plant a tree for every $100 you spend! 

Fuzzy…

Fuzzy socks, fuzzy blankets, fuzzy throw pillows, you name it; if it’s fuzzy, you want it for this winter season! Okay, so maybe Tallahassee winters aren’t that bad, but when you’re from South Florida, where the coldest it gets is when it drops to 75 because of the sea breeze, you might appreciate the extra warmth. You can even get Seminole ones!

Hygge

Now that I’ve touched a little bit on how to get cozy, feel free to dive into the depths of hygge. Hygge, the Danish art of coziness, is the perfect thing to get you in the holiday spirit. There’s plenty of hygge books you can read curled up by your “fireplace,” but my favorite is The Little Book of HyggeDon’t forget to grab a warm drink when you curl up to read it!  

Get Outdoors

Dorothy Oven Park Lights

Nothing screams holidays like lights and Dorothy Oven Park has an abundance of them! The whole park is littered with lights and holiday music. It’s the perfect place for a date night or even just a night out with friends.

Havana Christmas Tree Farm

Courtesy of Taylor Moreno

For me, a real Christmas tree is always a must, and Havana Christmas Tree Farm was the perfect place to get it! It felt like you walked into the set of a Hallmark movie, with a cute little red barn and a yellow lab and, of course, acres of trees. You get to chop down your own tree­­– which had always been on my bucket list! They even let you drive the golf cart to pick it up– just be careful of Christmas tree stumps– the tree could fly off!

Ugly Christmas Sweater

Ugly Christmas Sweaters are a necessity for all holiday parties. Of course, there’s plenty of Florida State sweaters out there that are a little questionable, but if you’re really committed to getting the ugliest sweater, just get a gator one! If you’re feeling really dapper you can even get an ugly Christmas suit.

Get Giving

Volunteer

Courtesy of Anna Earl

‘Tis the season to give back. There are plenty of ways you can help volunteer in Tallahassee. No matter what your interest is, there is something for everyone. If you’re into animal rescue, you can participate in Delta Nu Zeta’s  Reindeer Run this Saturday, Dec 7 and all proceeds go to Companion Animal Rescue Endeavor. Or you can get involved with nonprofit organizations at Big Bend’s Alternative Christmas Market. If you can’t make it to any events, focus on small acts of kindness: pay for the person behind you at your favorite cafe, leave a cute note in a library book, or even just smile at strangers. Everything little thing makes a difference!

Use a Reusable Coffee Cup 

During the holiday season, it can be easy to forget about staying sustainable. One easy way you can stay sustainable is by using a reusable coffee cup when you’re treating yourself to a warm drink. By bringing your own reusable coffee cup to your favorite coffee shops, some places will even offer a discount! If you’re feeling green, here are more sustainable switches you can make!

Ticket Home

The holidays are all about spending time with loved ones, so don’t forget to head home for a part of it. Even if you can’t be with all of your loved ones, give them a call or send a hand-written note. They’ll appreciate the thought.

I hope this helps make your winter merry and bright! However you do decide to spend your holidays, I hope you make the most of it.  

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

Taylor is currently a junior at Florida State University with a double major in English Creative Writing and Studio Art. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can find her traveling, getting lost in a book, or working on her personal blog at a local coffee shop.
Her Campus at Florida State University.