Why Your Sister Should be Your Role Model

Over the past few years, I’ve learned a lot, but I couldn’t have done it without my older sister. Sisters are like best friends that you didn’t get to choose, but you wouldn’t choose anyone else if you had the chance. Older sisters are like your built-in life support; they’re always there for you if you need anything. Being the middle child, I’d like to think I got away with a lot over the years, but that’s because my parents tested everything out on my older sister first. So many people take their siblings for granted and a lot of them don’t even talk, but having an older sister is the greatest gift of all. Your older sister is wise, she’s smart, she’s pretty, she has the answers to everything, and she should be your role model. A role model is someone you look up to in all aspects of life, and whether it be school, relationships, friends, or just general life advice, your older sister has all the answers.

Older sisters aren’t given enough credit for what they go through. They’re the first born, usually, so your parents are experimenting with raising them and by the time you come along,  they’ve perfected their method. They have the highest expectations forced on them and if they do something wrong, it’s the end of the world. Older sisters have the highest aspirations because no one before them was shut down. My older sister had the highest aspirations of them all. With a dream of living in New York City, after college graduation she moved 1000 miles with no job in line, practically no money, and no idea of what she was going to do. Yet somehow, she managed to stay afloat, and made something of herself. Not many people can say that they survived their first year in the city living off of practically nothing. My older sister is the reason for so many things in my life.

Every older sibling hates it when their younger siblings copy everything they do and adults always say that copying is the best form of flattery, but my older sister must have been super flattered because I copied everything she did. If she dyed her hair so did I, if she wore a certain dress so did I, if she liked a new band I liked them, too. I even went as far as becoming a vegetarian and getting my nose pierced on the same side she had it, but I did all of this because I looked up to her so much. She’s the reason I am as happy as I am today, the reason I really enjoy art and yoga, and she’s the reason I go to Florida State. My sister is my absolute best friend, role model, and the greatest person in the world, and I wouldn’t trade her for anything. So this is a tribute to all of the older sisters who give their siblings everything and ask for nothing in return. They’re the people who should be your true role models.

Sophomore computer science major at Florida State University that loves everything fashionable, yoga, food, art, and technology related. Originally from Boca Raton, Florida but currently residing in Tallahassee attending the best school in the nation!
Her Campus at Florida State University.