Just like many of us this past summer, I got the puppy fever and BAD. It seemed like everyone around me had a pet or was in the process of getting one. The last straw was when my boyfriend’s mom got a Frenchie. At that point, I went on PetFinder and got to looking. 

The search for the perfect dog wasn’t as easy as many made it seem. Would my mom let me bring it back? What kind of breed fits my lifestyle? What am I going to do post-college? Would I be able to find a pet-friendly apartment in a new city? 

All these questions ran through my mind and more. Some people told me I wasn’t ready, others were just scared it’d be too much for me to handle, but bottom line—I wanted a dog and I was going to get one. 

So, I said f*ck it and adopted a dog. Regardless of anyone’s concerns, I knew I was capable and willing to provide my dog with the best life it deserved. Now, one month into adopting my first dog I can say it’s been one of the best decisions of my life.

1. A dog can be a girl’s best friend too.

dante in car
Original photo by Janelle Altamirano
A dog is always labeled as a “man’s best friend” when in reality my dog is one of the girls. My dog, Dante, may be a boy but he loves ~female energy~. He loves a wine night with the girlies especially when he’s all cuddled up and getting belly rubs. There’s no better feeling than seeing your dog happy to be around you.

2. Dogs are great for your mental health.

Dante sleep
Original photo by Janelle Altamirano
Growing up with a brother who is eight years younger than you definitely teaches you how to be nurturing. Taking care of another living being is so refreshing especially in a time when everything feels mundane. Seeing my dog next to me in the mornings is the highlight of my day and gives me a reason to go outside of the house instead of being cooped up all day. Plus, now I always have a travel buddy with me wherever I go!

3. Dogs provide you with some much-needed structure. 

Dante cuddles
Original photo by Janelle Altamirano
Been sleeping in and need a reason to wake up? Well, get a dog! A dog depends on you for everything and that means taking them out so they can go do their business. The three walks a day will keep you active and give you some structure especially since we all know Zoom University doesn’t have the best scheduling. I walk my dog at 7:30 a.m., 4 p.m. and then one last time before I go to sleep. It keeps him happy and makes my 10,000 steps a day goal a whole lot easier. 

4. You feel good about helping a pet in need.

Adoption day
Original photo by Janelle Altamirano
Each year there are more homeless dogs and cats that wander the streets aimlessly looking for a forever home. Shelters do their part in taking in strays. However, they can’t hold onto a pet forever. Adopting a dog allows you to support your local shelter and give your dog a second life. Your new pet will leave you with a smile on your face through all the unconditional love they will give you. P.S. adopted pets are a lot cheaper. Check out the Tallahassee Animal Service page to find your next pet!

If there’s one thing I’ve learned since adopting Dante, it’s to follow your gut. Screw what anyone has to say! You’re capable and you got this. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Janelle is a Mass Media Communications and International Affairs student at Florida State University. She loves binging youtube videos and can be seen watching anything from animation reviews to conspiracy theories. If you ever want to talk Film, Janelle is your gal.
Her Campus at Florida State University.