Couple kissing with butterflies
Couple kissing with butterflies
Allison Torres
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Why the Old Saying “Long-Distance Relationships Never Work” Is a Myth

Though it may seem hard, long-distance relationships in college are a blessing and a curse. Yes, you’re away from your significant other for weeks or months at a time, but when you go to different colleges it gives you room to grow, learn and make friends independently. It gives relationships time to mature and as the relationship gets stronger the parties involved get stronger.

Notting Hill gif
Giphy

My relationship started in the middle of senior year in high school, I was not looking into getting in a serious relationship. I was so worried about doing long-distance, the emotional stress, adjusting to a new relationship and a new chapter in life, it was all very scary. However, as my relationship started to get deeper, I started to want to become more serious and long-distance didn’t seem so scary anymore. I decided to sit down and have a serious talk with my boyfriend. The conversation was tough, going through the pros and cons of long-distance and how it would affect us mentally and physically, how it would be adjusting to a new life at a University and finding time for each other, but we decided that we needed to at least give it a try. I am so beyond happy that we did, though it is hard, long-distance has given me so much to be grateful for when it came down to my boyfriend and our relationship. It has given us room to be independent, but also mature and grow as a team. It has given us time to think about our lives and make sure to make room for each other, even in the toughest situations. It has given us hardships and triumphs to prepare us for our future and the real world.

How to Lose a Guy in 10 days Kate Hudson Matthew McConaughey
Paramount Pictures

I am so appreciative of my boyfriend. He has stuck with me through thick and thin, never giving up on us and our relationship. He brings such a light to my life and makes me feel like the most amazing woman in the world. Through life I have suffered through low self-confidence, anxiety and depression; these things are extremely difficult to deal with alone, but with him,  I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I think what made our relationship so strong is just focusing on communication and growth. I cannot emphasize enough that communicating is the most important part of any relationship. Family, friends or significant others, it is important to say what you mean, and mean what you say. Speak up if you’re feeling hurt, or make sure they know that they are doing something right. No matter what it is, being open and communicative is important to keep every relationship healthy and stable. As well as communication, growth must happen in order to see the relationship and the people involved mature and learn. You will never grow unless you communicate and learn from mistakes or achievements. So, for anyone out there that is in a long-distance relationship or worried about getting into one, make sure you’re focused, confident and always, always communicate.  

the proposal gif
Giphy

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Hey! My name is Helena Denny, I am a Media Communications Studies student at Florida State University!