I lay in bed at seven in the morning, not because I was up to start my day, but because I had yet to finish it. I realized I was not going to make it to my 9:45 class because I had yet to fall asleep. I spent the whole night binge-watching a show that allowed me to escape my feelings. The sunrise spilled through my blinds, shining on old ramen noodle cups that had been sitting on my desk no longer serving their original purpose. At this point in my life, my sleep schedule was completely nocturnal. I was waking up at 5 p.m. and going to sleep at 7 a.m., missing out on any social interaction. This is when I should have left Florida State University (FSU).

It was my first semester of college and here I was, experiencing the darkest time of my life with no one I loved around. I was utterly alone. When I was entering college, everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, in my life gave me some piece of advice. “Be careful with student loans!” “Keep your grades up so you don’t lose your scholarship!” “Use flip-flops when showering!” “Don’t take morning classes!” It was advice after advice. Here’s something I wish someone told me instead: it’s okay if college or FSU does not work out for you.

Knowing if you belong at FSU or any college is a gut feeling. In my first semester, I did not find my people. I was skipping all my classes, my grades were in the gutter, and I was in one of the worst depressions of my life. It should not have felt shameful to leave. It should not have been considered quitting. I thought leaving FSU would have been considered one of my biggest failures, but I should have known that college wasn’t for everyone, and if it was for you, maybe it wouldn’t have been at the college you were currently at.

I should have dropped out, or transferred, or done something to get out of there. Yet, the only thought in my head was that I was a first-generation college student and if I didn’t make it through, what did it mean for my family and all their sacrifices? Don’t get me wrong, I am happy with my life at FSU now. I finally have a major that I am excited about, I have an apartment that doesn’t flood, my GPA is finally above a 3.0, and I have the kindest and coolest friends who don’t make me feel alone in a city where I am miles away from my family. I am a fully devoted ‘Nole, I am excited for our football season, and I can’t wait to be 21 so I can be thrown in Westcott Fountain. But I could’ve had those things sooner. It took me four semesters to get my GPA from a 1.75 (the result of my first semester) to a 3.09. I could have found my place somewhere else rather than forcing it in Tallahassee. To make myself fit here, I had to beat myself into the mold. What if I had fit better somewhere else? I will never know.

No matter who you are or how much you prepare, college might not be an easy transition. I am not telling you to drop out just because you had one minor hiccup. This is for people who know deep down that they do not belong in a place but are too scared to leap for fear of failure, just like me. There is more than one path in life. Some of the world’s most successful people dropped out of college. There are many people living a great lifestyle because they chose what made them happy over success. Even transferring schools isn’t the end of the world. So, no matter what you choose to do, choose what will make you happy, not others. Don’t force something that makes you lose sight of yourself.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

This is my first year writing with Her Campus and am so excited! I'm a junior at FSU and a double major in Political Science and English: Editing, Writing & Media. In my free time, I love reading books (shocker right!), spending time with my family, and watching and re-watching countless rom-coms. If you want me to talk endlessly for hours ask me about my opinion on any romance book trope.