danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Why I Decided to Do the Disney College Program

The Disney College Program is something I’ve been passionate about for as long as I could remember. The idea of working for one of the greatest companies in the world definitely motivated me to apply. Once I was accepted, I didn’t hesitate to accept my position, but some people wondered if I should have hesitated. People assumed I wasn’t happy at my university or wondered if I transferred. There are many reasons as to why I accepted my position in the Disney College Program, but here are just some main reasons on why I packed my bags and moved to Orlando.

1. Internship Opportunity

One thing that has been emphasized in my college career so far is the subject of internships. Internships are often seen as a resume builder, but I wanted my internship to be something unique and an experience that would “fit” me. Since I’m minoring in hospitality, I knew I wanted to intern with Disney. In addition to that, I was born into Disney and I’ve been going to the parks since I was a little girl, so I knew this paid internship was perfect for me. I had entered Florida State University as a sophomore due to my high school credits and coming into the Disney College Program, I could still keep up with my degree plan. During the application process, I told myself if I didn’t get in, it was for the best and not my time yet. When I received my acceptance, I knew I  couldn’t pass this opportunity.

2. Unique Experience

Another reason I decided to do the program was because I knew I would gain all types of experiences. Working for one of the biggest companies in the world, many expect one would be surrounded by various aspects of any other job, but working for Disney is completely different. Once I became a cast member, I learned everything there is to know about putting on a show for thousands and thousands of people every single day. There is so much hard work and dedication that goes into creating happiness for every guest that enters Disney World. I’ve also had the opportunity to enroll in courses that surround the subject of Disney. These classes vary: such as taking a Disney Exploration Seminar or attending Career Development Workshops. The Disney College Program has so far given me an experience like no other. I’ve learned so many things and have met people from all over the world.

3. Perks

I knew going into this program that I would be able to go into the parks for free. Once I entered the program, I realized there are so many advantages of working for Disney! Not only can I enter for free, but Disney offers cast members a set amount of tickets for your family every certain number of hours you work. In addition, cast members get discounts for Disney merchandise and specific restaurants. The Disney College Program also gives the perk of meeting so many people! I have met so many wonderful cast members and I’ve only been here for three weeks!

There are many more reasons as to why I accepted my position in the Disney College Program, but I knew it was the best thing for me. I will be returning to Florida State in the Fall with plans to return to Disney after I graduate!

All gifs courtesy of Giphy.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Victoria Cardoso is an Editing, Writing, and Media major at Florida State University. When she’s not writing for Her Campus FSU, she’s probably watching Harry Potter, reading a book, or eating a slice of pizza.
Her Campus at Florida State University.