Why Grey’s Led Me to Believe I Could Be a Doctor

Oh, Grey’s. It’s a love hate relationship with you. But I remember the first time I clicked onto your link on Netflix, and my life forever changed. Shout-out to Shonda Rhimes, but after consuming your episodes one by one, by the end, I thought I could be a doctor. And here’s why.

1. The verbiage.

Courtesy: Wetpaint

Grey’s, you were the anatomy class teacher that I never had in high school (and never will have in college). Through you, I learned what a hematoma was, to make sure that we intubated the patient pronto, when to order the CAT and MRI scans and knew when someone really messed up on the show… like perhaps in the case of McDreamy. And because of all this new terminology I absorbed, I thought I actually knew what it meant, which would benefit me in the long run. Besides, I sounded smart when I’d recite it out loud.

2. The friendships.

Courtesy: Fan Pop

Now the friendships that were portrayed only led me to think I wanted to be a doctor more. I mean, going through residency together, growing together, SAVING LIVES TOGETHER and eventually knowing the same people for the rest of your life? I’ll take that stability please!

3. Helping people.

Courtesy: Grey’s Anatomy Wikia

On a more serious note, everyone on the show was, at least in some way, selfless and had a heart for others. While they may have expressed it differently, they all had the same passion for helping people. And I… well I wanted to help people, too. But being a doctor isn’t the only way to help people, and while I do admire everyone on the show and doctors in real life, it just is not the path for me.

So Grey’s, as you are being taken away from me off of Netflix, and have been there since the long haul, I would just like to say thanks for being there for the evolution of me as a potential doctor. While I know now that is definitely not my calling, it was nice while it lasted.

Just your average coffee addicted collegiate student trying to find their place in the world who likes books, talking (a bunch), and people. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.