jakob owens WUmb eBrpjs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens WUmb eBrpjs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Why Did Selena Gomez Leave Social Media?

Selena Gomez is a woman that has been through some challenges in her life. She opened about her battle with lupus in 2015. Lupus, according to the Lupus Research Alliance, is an autoimmune disease where the immune system attacks healthy cells. This leads to damaging different organs in the body or in some cases, deadly. Gomez underwent a kidney transplant in 2017 which she expressed her gratitude to her best friend, Francia Raisa. The transplant was a success, but later Selena was sent for emergency surgery after the kidney began to fail. Selena said in an interview with Today that it “got to the point where it was really, kind of, life or death.” Later, Selena and Francia told W Magazine that they both had a rough time recovering from the surgery, leading to depression and anxiety. Selena revealed that she checked herself into a facility to treat her depression and anxiety, which she expressed to Vogue saying,“I wish more people would talk about therapy.” She continues and believes that dialectical behavior therapy has helped her in her health.

Courtesy: Selena Gomez Instagram

Although Selena was getting better physically, she was still struggling to get back. She recently talked on the vodcast “Giving Back Generation” on how she was getting body-shamed for her weight gain. She felt that the negativity she was receiving on social media made it hard for her to log on Instagram. The medications that Selena was taking due to her disease made her weight fluctuate, and as her weight gain began to show so did the negativity of Instagram trolls.

Social media is a medium that Selena fears because she said in an interview with the Cannes Film Festival, that these negative comments about her weight affect her young fans. Selena’s advice when using social media is to “Be honest. Be very intentional at what you’re paying attention to. Try to remove yourself from images that 99.9 (percent) of the time are just images that are not necessarily real.” She hopes to make a change in the lives of many of her followers or fans by opening about her struggles and recovery process.

Courtesy: Selena Gomez Instagram

Gomez talked more on the vodcast on how she left social media and how she uses it to post and not to scroll through. She said not engaging on social media has made her happy. Selena continues using her platform to promote positivity, the message she wants girls who are struggling with loving themselves is to be themselves and not to be “demolished by an image that they’re trying to chase.” Gomez mentions how she used to think of what others thought, “But I get it, I look at other people’s pages — or I used to — and I’d be like, ‘Okay, I need to fix myself.'” Taking it all one step at a time is what she is doing, especially with the help of her loved ones. Being able to find the help that you need is key she notes, her faith has also been her one a reason she is loving herself more.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

School:Florida State University Year: Senior Major: Editing, Writing, and Media Learning to write has been one journey that will never end for me.
Her Campus at Florida State University.