Where to Study When You’re Tired of Libraries

There’s no struggle quite like getting up early, preparing for a day of studying on campus and showing up to the library just to find it full. This is a struggle that is all too real for most FSU students considering Strozier and Dirac become second homes to the majority of the student population. Honestly, the routine searching for an empty seat and never being close enough to an outlet gets boring real fast, so here are some alternatives to studying in the libraries!

Catalina Café – 603 W Gaines

Courtesy: Catalina Cafe 

If you’re someone who studies best with a little bit of white noise and some caffeine, this is the perfect coffee shop for you! Catalina is located in the heart of Tallahassee’s hippest residential area, College Town, and boasts a menu full of amazing teas, coffees and food items. With both indoor and outdoor seating, you can study in whichever environment you prefer. Not to mention, the music played here is always on point and 90% of the time you’ll find a pupper hanging out on the patio.

ASLC Grindhouse

Courtesy: ASLC

Looking for a quiet atmosphere and some delicious coffee on campus without having to sacrifice an arm and a leg for a Triple White Chocolate, soy, no foam, low-fat, extra cream and sugar latte from Starbucks? Then the ASLC Grindhouse is the place for you! Located right outside the on-campus movie theater, this quaint little coffee joint has a variety of drinks all based on your favorite movies and TV shows and offers a handful of baked goods too. Plus there is an abundance of seating (including sofas because we’re all about comfort here).

Honors, Scholars and Fellows House

Courtesy: Raise The Torch 

Located right above everyone’s favorite establishment, Chick-Fil-A, the Honors, Scholars and Fellows house is the perfect place to get work done if you absolutely need that quiet study environment! It’s only a hop, skip and a jump away from Stroz so the location is ideal and if you need a quick study break, you can go downstairs and treat yourself to some waffle fries or frosted lemonade.

Black Dog Café – 229 Lake Ella Drive

Courtesy: Black Dog

Unpopular opinion: Black Dog located on Lake Ella is way better than the one in Railroad Square. This location is always less packed and literally sits on Lake Ella which makes for the perfect atmosphere for some outdoor studying. The combination of fairy lights and one of their specialty coffees or teas makes for the perfect aesthetic study environment!

Greenwise Market – 625 W Gaines

Courtesy: Progressive Grocer

Now hear me out, you’re probably thinking “why would I ever study at a grocery store, let alone Publix?” It’s because Greenwise is not your average grocery market! This brand new, modern market is a grocery store, restaurant, wine bar and study area all rolled into one! The second floor has a conveniently located study area with shared high tables, couches and normal tables so you can study with as many friends as you need! It overlooks the most beautiful view in Tallahassee (the produce section) and gives off the perfect coffee shop vibes. Plus if you ever get hungry, you already know you can stop by either the pizza, sushi, pasta or sandwich bars just downstairs! 

I'm a senior from Miami, FL majoring in Public Relations and pursuing a Master's degree in Integrated Marketing Communication. Think of me as the love child of Samantha Jones & Carrie Bradshaw, plus throw in a little Cuban spice.
Her Campus at Florida State University.