kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Unhealthy Habits You Shouldn’t Treat Yo Self To

We sometimes mistake self-care for indulging in our impulses. Whether that be with food or behaviors we all tend to seek out vices to get through the day. Overindulging in America has now become a standard, a horrible standard. We’re all familiar with the “Treat Yo Self” mentality but you don’t need to overindulge to feel satisfied or happy. Here are some unhealthy habits we all need to stop overindulging in.

Smoking

By now everyone knows that it’s proven how bad smoking is for you, and how it affects the people around you. A lot of people don’t want to be around the smell of smoke, so they avoid you to prevent from being rude to you. Smoking comes with its fair share of health risks including cancer, heart disease and kidney failure.

Binge-drinking

All of us that have woken up the next day following an epic party, have regretted that overindulgence the night before. Did you know when you drink, you actually add on lots of pounds? I’m not saying don’t drink. You just need to know your limits, and know your body’s limits; sometimes we think we can handle it, but then our body politely shows us just how wrong we are. Strokes, liver problem, heart issues and cardiac arrest are all very possible and they’re very dangerous. 

Too much caffeine

If you’re anything like me you NEED your coffee, and I’m going, to be honest, this is something I overindulge in often. That first cup might be needed, but was the second? Or the third? No.

Too much caffeine can lead to headaches, erratic behavior, insomnia, and an unhealthy accelerated heart rate.

Junk Food

America leads other countries in obesity, we’re so far ahead we could run laps around them. Everyone gets the munchies after a day of hard work, or after a night out. Instead of choosing something healthy, or semi-healthy, we tend to choose chips, burgers, fries, tacos, cheesecake, ice cream, popcorn, candy, milkshakes, corn dogs and more. All these foods hold empty calories, your body can’t convert these calories into anything but fats. Instead of eating junk foods when you get the munchies, try apples, yogurt, mixed nuts, kale chips, cucumber slices, hummus, carrots, olives, turkey roll-ups, cantaloupe—these are all good examples of healthy foods you can switch out for the unhealthy habit of engorging in loads of junk food.

Soda

They may taste good, but they definitely aren’t healthy for you. Packed with sugars, empty calories, and a ton of caffeine. Most of the time people drink sodas for the fizzy, bubbly feeling, not necessarily the taste. Guzzling soda can trigger a sweet craving. Switching out for diet soda isn’t an alternative to this either, choosing something different altogether is the better and healthier option for you. Instead try flavored water infused with fruits, green tea, iced tea, hot tea, flavor seltzer to create a juice or copycat lemon-lime soda, red wine (when consumed in moderation), juice fresh vegetables, soy milk or you can even try brewing your tea infused with fruits.

Too much technology

There has been a change in the shape thumbs, due to the amount of time that our generation is spending on texting, and playing on tablets if that isn’t a sign of overindulgence then I don’t know what is. We are all guilty of it, we pointlessly check our phones then start playing games for no reason. I’m guilty of this too, I could be busy and deep in work, but I’ll still pick up my phone to scroll through Instagram, Twitter, or Pinterest when I have no business even being on social media.

Pigging out in front of the TV

I’m majorly guilty of this one. It’s like I can’t sit down and watch anything unless I’m snacking on something, which is horrible since I’m always on Netflix or YouTube, even if I’m just using it for background noise. It’s as if no matter what I’m watching, I have to be snacking for the duration.

Late night eating

I know ladies, we all feel this one, we feel as if we have to sneak in the middle of the night being absolutely quiet just to grab a bite to eat. Our body has a clock and our organs follow that clock and during certain times of the day they are more effective and useful during the “awaken registered hours”. Eating when the liver and intestines are not registered means that you are awake during hours you should be asleep, so they don’t break down your food or help you digest your food safely as they should instead, the body just adds on the pounds to our waistlines.

These are some of the habits that you really should put a stop to if not for yourself now, then for your future body. In order to better yourself, one of the main things you need to do is take care of your body, manage how much you’re eating, what you’re eating, and your time spent on technology.

What you put in your body is what you’re going to get out. Therefore, if you put crap into your body, your body is going to put crap out. My mom taught me that one, and she’s right. Don’t tell her that though.

All Gifs Courtesy of Tenor.

Kamaria is a double major in English Literature & Communications. Kamaria has served two companies with their editing departments for blogging and journalism. She has been published in two literary magazines. When she’s not watching Netflix, traveling, reading, or writing; you can catch her watching and playing sports. Please email any praise, comments, tips, hate, or inquiries to kyi7777@gmail.com
Her Campus at Florida State University.