kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Try These Coffee Alternatives to Boost Your Energy

It’s that time of year again: the mid-semester slump. Even the strongest of us need a cup of coffee to get us through the day—I know I don’t fully wake up until I’ve had a cup! But coffee is expensive and drinking too much has health risks. So, I’ve researched ways to boost energy that aren’t coffee to help you (and me) get through some of the longer days ahead. These alternatives will give you a more nutritious energy boost that will benefit your mind and your body.

Courtesy: GIPHY

Apples

Apples are proven to be a more natural form of energy than caffeinated drinks. Their many nutrients and sugars offer an easy way to re-energize throughout your day. They also make for a diverse snack–try them with peanut butter, cheese or cinnamon. This is an easy, healthy and portable snack for an on-the-go college student that will give you the mid-day boost you need.

Coconut Water

Coconut water is another awesome alternative to coffee. It contains 569 milligrams of potassium, which makes for a great source of a nutrient that most people don’t consume enough of. It also contains natural electrolytes, which aid muscle contraction and generate energy. There are many different brands of this coconut water, so be sure to look around and decide which one is best for you. Some brands have more sugar than others and many will vary in taste, but the benefits are essentially the same from each product.

Tea

Your third option is black or green tea, which many health experts believe to be a great way to wean yourself off of coffee. They contain caffeine, but less than half of what is in a cup ‘o joe. They also contain more health benefits than coffee, such as antioxidants that can help you stay healthy even through flu season. Matcha is another way to do this, containing only a third of the caffeine in coffee and it also helps manage anxiety in a natural way.

Courtesy: Yahoo

Banana

Another good fruit of choice is a banana. Bananas offer a vast array of nutrients—healthy carbs, potassium and vitamin B6—which have all been proven to boost energy levels in the body. They are easy to take on the go, much like apples. You can also get creative with how you choose to snack. Try it with peanut butter, in cereal or even on your morning toast. You really can’t go wrong!

As much as I love coffee, my wallet isn’t on the same page. I am currently scouring for an easier, cheaper way to fuel my day. I plan on trying all of these out and hope that they help you as well. If you find that they don’t work for your tastes, know that a cup of coffee every now and then is actually healthy for your circulation. Just so long as you regulate your coffee drinking to some extent, you should be good to go. When I say to “regulate” your coffee consumption, I mean to try not to exceed multiple cups a day as this is where it can pose health risks. This can also give you extra cash to spend elsewhere, like eating out, concert tickets or a shopping day with your friends.

Miranda studies Editing, Writing and Media at Florida State University. She loves music, writing and travel. One of her favorite quotes is "If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced." -Vincent Van Gogh
Her Campus at Florida State University.