From Tiktok To the Country Charts, This Girl Is a Force To Be Reckoned With

It’s no secret that TikTok has taken over the world. Disregarding the issues that they’ve been having recently, the platform is great to get exposure and has produced some big stars and influencers in its little time on the app store. The best part about the app is that anybody can blow up quite literally overnight. That’s what happened to 17-year-old Georgia Webster’s TikTik of her singing and playing guitar. After recently releasing her debut single “Tell Your Mom,” Webster is making a name for herself and starting up her music career. 

Her Campus (HC): Did you expect the response that your music got on TikTok?

Georgia Webster (GW): No not at all! I had a music account on Instagram before I posted on TikTok, so I had been posting my songs for years and nothing really came of it. Seeing my video blew up I was really really surprised and excited.

HC: What’s your earliest memory where you realized just how much you loved music?

GW: My grandma has this tradition where she takes my sister and me to see a Broadway show every year in New York City. I used to go along with her before my sister was born, and I remember seeing Wicked and just absolutely falling in love with the soundtrack.

HC: How did you get into music?

GW: My dad plays guitar as a hobby and he bought me my first guitar when I was probably 11. I remember we had this project in 4th grade where we could do any creative thing that inspired us about a certain president. I wrote a song about Ulysses S. Grant. After I wrote this song I realized, “Hey, maybe I can write songs about things in my life” and from there I started writing about my friends, crushes, and soon relationships.”

HC: What inspired your single “Tell your mom”?

GW: The song is based on a true story. It’s kind of based on the idea that when you have a relationship with someone, you’re dating their family as well. This is good when you’re in the relationship — but afterward, sometimes it’s sad because you’re reminiscing about that person and the memories when their family contacts you.

HC: Some artists will use their audio recordings when they feel inspired, others will use the notes app, and others stick to traditional pen and paper. What does your songwriting process look like? Is there a certain routine you have?

GW: Yeah, sometimes melodies just come to me in the middle of a school day or something and I’ll just run to the bathroom and get on my voice memos. As far as writing, I’ve been a pen and paper girl for years but recently I’ve started using notes since it’s much easier to take with me.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

GW: I see myself being a country artist. I would love to write songs for other people as well, but I can definitely see myself singing most of them and telling the stories I’ve been writing.

HC: Who are your biggest musical influences?

GW: My biggest influences are definitely singer-songwriters like Chelsea Cutler, Lennon Stella, Julia Michaels and Ingrid Andress.

HC: If you could pick one artist to collaborate with, who would it be?

GW: I would say, Ingrid Andress. Her writing really speaks to me and I think we could cook up something good :)

HC: Can we expect to see you release a full-length album anytime in the near future?

GW: Definitely more songs in the near future, whether that be an EP or an album is the question I don’t know the answer to yet.

greyscale photography of condenser microphone
Photo by Tommy Lopez from Pexels

HC: Some people have been calling you the next Taylor Swift. How does that feel?

GW: People in my school have been calling me that since 4th grade, I live in a small town so people have been hearing these songs for so long… it’s definitely the biggest compliment ever and I’ve been hearing it for so long so it’s funny that people are saying it so much now.

HC: You’re 17 years old. What’s your next move? Are you planning on going to college or are you dedicating to music full-time? Do you have plans for another additional career or is music your one main goal?

GW: Music has been my main goal since freshman year, I went to a Berklee songwriting summer program during that time and immediately knew this is what I want to do as a career. I’m planning to go to college in Nashville but just going with the flow and seeing where life takes me!!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Alexia is double-majoring at Florida State University in Sociology and Media/Communications Studies. She holds a strong love for reading, writing, music and enjoys going to the beach back at home in Fort Lauderdale. When she’s not busy catching up with work or school, you can usually catch her hanging out with her puppy, Ginger or at Happy Hour on Friday with her besties.
Her Campus at Florida State University.