Life > Academics

Places To Go In Tallahassee To De-stress From Finals

The dreaded finals season is upon us! Amidst all the studying, late-night cram sessions and test-taking, it is important to take some time to yourself during this chaotic week. Whether you need to de-stress from the 30 pages of notes you have to look over or the last-minute prep for that video project you had no idea about, Tallahassee has an array of options of places to go to ease your mind of the semester-worth of knowledge in your head. Here are five spots to go to reset and de-stress from finals! 

Tally Cat Café

This one is for my cat lovers, coffee lovers or both! I don’t know about you, but coffee and cats are my dream day off of studying. The Tally Cat Café offers a wide range of drinks, some being cat-inspired, such as the Calico—a caramel and vanilla latte. After you treat yourself to a cold brew or latte, mosey on over to the cat lounge where you are surrounded by a group of cuddly, lovable cats. Pet therapy is very much real, and I will definitely be needing it this finals season. If you happen to fall in love with one of the adorable cats in the lounge, they are up for adoption through the Leon County Humane Society. Maybe you’ll come home with a study buddy after your day off! If you’re not a cat person, but still want a change in view other than pages and pages of notes, they have a viewing area where you can observe the cats while sipping on your drink of choice. 

Tallahassee Nurseries 

To be honest, I don’t even know how to take care of a plant, but they sure are pretty to look at! Tallahassee Nurseries has lanes and lanes of beautiful plants and flowers to admire and relax your mind from your dreaded finals. Whether you’re there to just walk around or to purchase a plant of your own, the ambiance is nothing short of calming. Their greenhouse will transport you to a tropical state of mind with the sounds of water, koi fish to look at and arrays of stunning plants. Their adorable gift shop is the perfect place to shop for little knick-knacks to give your friend who is also drowning in finals prep. Once we get through this finals week, we can fully immerse ourselves in the holiday spirit. Saying that, Tallahassee Nurseries got our back. They offer fresh Christmas trees and vibrant poinsettias that perfectly capture the holiday mood. 

Railroad Square Art District

From restaurants, thrift stores and bookstores, Railroad Square has everything you need for a little breather from all things finals-related with your friends. For my artsy people, there are vintage stores, antique stores and art galleries. For your caffeine pick-me-up, they have a family-owned coffee shop, Square Mug Café, right at your disposal. Food is fuel, especially during hours and hours of studying, so reset with one of their many restaurant options. If you just need to let loose and have some fun during this finals week, then stop by their Flippin’ Great Pinball, where you can escape from all the learning by playing some of the most nostalgic arcade games. This is the one-stop-shop for all things to de-stress from final exams!

Cascades Park

Nothing is more relaxing than a walk in a park. Step away from all the studying and test prep to clear your mind at Cascades Park. Sometimes it is easy for us to spend all day inside when we are drowning in notes, study guides, review sessions and exams, but we must take a break to soak up some Vitamin D. I know some of us strive for academic validation, but self-care must come first. So, take that walk in the park, or the jog around the lake or grab your friends to do an impromptu yoga session. Cascades has all the areas and views to de-stress. 

Christmas Lights at Dorothy B. Oven Park

Tis’ the season to spend all hours of the night reviewing notes and studying your textbook, but take a break to admire the lights of the holiday season. The Christmas display at Dorothy B. Oven Park will transport you from your studying world to a winter wonderland. The holiday season is the only thing getting me through finals, so why not celebrate a little bit early? The trees of the park are filled with over 250,000 twinkling lights and displays guaranteed to bring joy. So, grab a cup of cheer (or hot cocoa) and take a little break from studying at Dorothy B. Oven Park. 

I know finals week can be draining both emotionally and physically, but above all, you come first. You don’t have to get out of the house to de-stress. Watch a movie, take a nap, call your best friend or do a face mask. Whatever is your outlet is to de-stress during this chaotic time, make sure you take advantage of it. It’s okay to have some you time after all your hard work this semester!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hannah Tolley is a contributing writer under the Entertainment and Culture vertical. She covers entertainment releases, fan theories, pop culture news, and more. Aside from Her Campus, Hannah was also a member of the Florida State University (FSU) Her Campus team. During her time with the chapter, she served as a staff writer for three semesters, where she wrote biweekly pieces across campus, culture, and personal verticals. She also was a content editor for two semesters, where she led a team of 6+ writers and oversaw and edited their articles. Hannah was also an editorial intern for Her Campus during her spring and summer term of her second year in college. As an intern, she worked alongside the full-time edit team to curate timely and evergreen pieces across life, culture, career, and style verticals. She graduated Magna Cum Laude from FSU in May 2023, with a Bachelor of Science in Media/Communication Studies with a minor in English. When she's not dissecting the latest pop culture events, you can find her reading a cheesy romance novel or establishing parasocial relationships with fictional TV characters. She loves to rewatch her favorite shows (Gilmore Girls, One Tree Hill, and Friends) or spend the day going down a rabbit hole of reality dating shows.