It is just about time for Thanksgiving, so what are your plans and traditions?

Food, food and more food. It’s about time to get stuffed, and maybe this year you help cook Thanksgiving dinner. In my house, when it is our turn to cook for the holidays, I spend the time with my dad while he cooks. I help him as much as I can (or at least until I’m tired). I enjoy this, and although it is not an official tradition, I believe my dad appreciates it and enjoys our time together as much as I do. I also learn new recipes to take back up with me to college, so I get an additional win on that front.

Besides your official Thanksgiving dinner, maybe you should plan a Friendsgiving. This is just Thanksgiving with your friends. Everyone brings a dish to put on the table and lets the eating commence. What’s cool about Friendsgiving is that you can learn and participate in traditions your friends may have, as well as potentially have food that is normally not at your Thanksgiving table. Additionally, just being around them makes the holidays, or any day, better.

Extend the joy by volunteering. Some ways to give back to your community during this time are to donate food and volunteer at local food banks or kitchens. You can help serve food to other people who are not able to get food so that they, like you, can enjoy their Thanksgiving holiday. This is something that you may want to continue doing in your spare time, which is greatly appreciated by the community. 

Another Thanksgiving idea is to watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. I know in a lot of households, watching it has become a part of their tradition. Some people watch the parade while they eat or have it playing in the morning. The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade takes place in New York and consists of giant balloons and amazing floats that you do not see very often. The parade is about three hours long and showcases many of our favorite and loved characters as balloons, along with other people who walk and have floats in the parade. I have never watched the full parade, but I think I’ll try to this year.

Lastly, write a letter to those who you are thankful for. People don’t often receive letters nowadays and I think it would be a nice gesture. This is an idea that I have been thinking about for a while now. I want to send my friends, who I am not able to see as often, a letter to check in on them and see how they are doing. Yes, this could be done through text or call, but personally, I would appreciate the time and thought that went into a letter. It doesn’t have to be a lengthy letter, but it lets the person know that you were thinking about them and that you appreciate them. 

I hope you all enjoy the holidays and get to spend them with the people who make you happy.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

FSU student majoring in Psychology currently on the pre-med track. I love the Fine Arts, specifically dance, which has been a part of my life since the age of three. I enjoy music, tv, and have found a new joy in writing and reading.