Style > Beauty

Spring Cleaning!: How to Makeover Your Beauty Regime

As February comes to a close, you might notice a drastic climate change. This means heavy products are no longer necessary in completing your daily beauty routine. Take a look at how you can make the switch to lighter products that will enhance your natural features, save you some time, and perhaps brighten up your day.

1.  Perfect Your Complexion with a Tinted Moisturizer or BB Cream

Put that heavy liquid foundation away until next fall because lighter, natural coverage is all you’ll need for the spring and summer. If you know the hot, Floridian sun’s capabilities, you also know its potential for melting a heavy product right off of your face. This way, you can let your skin breathe a little during these terribly hot months and still even out your skin tone. Tinted moisturizer is the paragon of light coverage, and actually gives your skin a dewy, fresh look. BB Cream does the same, acting as an all-in-one product—it contains a moisturizer, primer, and also gives coverage. Both products also have SPF, so you’re protected from how high those UV rays get this season. If you’re not a fan of dewy skin (or just have oily skin in general), take a translucent powder and mattify your t-zone (forehead and down the nose). That way, you can still easily get away with a lower-coverage product.

2.  Get a Natural Flush with a Cream Blush

Skip the powder blush this season and invest in a cream blush. Not only do cream blushes give off a more natural flush, they also act as a highlighter too, defining the natural curves in your face as well as the apples of your cheeks. Cream products are also said to be long lasting, so you’re getting the full benefits of the product without having to reapply, which I’m sure can be a real pain for on-the-go girls.

3.  Shine On with Glossy Lips

Although lipstick tends to make our lips fuller and more defined, the texture is sometimes just annoyingly dry. Let’s be honest—matte lips are more for fall and winter anyway. You can still get great color payoff while acquiring the added bonuses of shine and smoothness at the same time. More importantly, glosses feel lighter, and now is the time to wear them because the wind won’t blow your hair only to get stuck on your lips.

4.  Lighten Up with a Bright Nail Color

Don’t get me wrong; I’m sure plenty of you had your fun playing around with dark nail colors these past six months. Express your bright personality with a pastel or neon color to kick off spring right. Check out this gorgeous ensemble from Essie’s spring 2014 collection, “Hide and Go Chic.” Coming to a drugstore near you on March 1st!

5.  Beat the Heat – Switch to a Sea Salt Spray

Get rid of the curling iron this season and give your hair a break! Heat is absolutely awful for your hair’s health. Instead, switch to a natural product to get those loose, pretty waves with a sea salt spray. It’s as easy as braiding your hair after the shower and spritzing it a few times. Let it dry and then remove the elastic. You should be left with natural, effortless waves, and you even saved yourself a ton of time. You can also get similar results with dry hair by sleeping with braids in overnight, and spritzing the product on in the morning.

Alexa is in her junior year here at FSU as an Editing, Writing, and Media major with a Communications minor. She found solace in writing as a form of self-expression and aspires to pursue a career involving media in a journalistic setting. She takes pride in her studies and works hard for her grades. When she has free time, you’ll find her hoarding makeup and handbags, online shopping, on YouTube, or listening to Adam Levine’s angelic voice. She has a fascination with Ernest Hemingway, and hopes to read all of his work someday. She is excited to be working on Her Campus this year as a staff writer, as well as run the Her Campus Facebook page. Come like HC FSU on Facebook to get quick updates on articles that get published to the site.You can also find her on twitter @alexa_please and on Instagram @alexaplease! =)
Her Campus at Florida State University.