The Spice Girls May Be Reuniting and We’re Freaking Out

I know! It’s exciting but relax, nothing is confirmed yet! According to some recent sources, the British girl group may or may not be coming together for a 2018 reunion. Victoria, Mel C., Mel B., Emma and Geri have reportedly met up during the summer to discuss their reunion and a new show. Unfortunately, Victoria will not be a part of the amazing reunion if it were to happen. Victoria’s rep says that she respects the ladies but will not be a part of this in any way.

Courtesy: Playbuzz

If you didn’t live in the Spice Girls era then let me give you a little rundown. The Spice Girls formed in 1994 and instantly became a hit. Their songs, dance numbers and platform shoes made the five ladies iconic. There was Scary, Sporty, Posh, Ginger and Baby Spice.  According to biography.com, the Spice Girls became the best selling girl group of all time. They sold over 65 million records.

The Spice Girls have won a ton of awards including 5 Brit Awards, 3 American Music Awards and 3 World Music Awards. They have so many iconic songs including “Say You’ll Be There,” “2 Become 1” and the song that we all know and love, “Wannabe.” And if you haven’t watched the Spice Girls movie yet, then you’re in for a fun ride. The movie is extremely silly and has a whole bunch of quirky jokes. The girls in the movie reflect their given Spice names. For instance, Posh Spice acts a little snobby while Baby Spice acts like a little girl. They deal with fans, people who want to break them up and oddly enough, aliens. If that doesn’t get you to watch it then I don’t know what will.

But like all great British bands, the Spice Girls broke up and decided to go their separate ways. Mel B. is a host on America’s Got Talent, Mel C. and Geri are solo singers and songwriters, Victoria has her own clothing line and Emma is a judge on the reality show Boy Bands. All of them are still making their mark in the world.

Courtesy: Digital Spy​

The Spice Girls still have a strong fan base to this day. They have had reunion concerts in the past (which fans loved). Their reunion tour in 2007 sold out so quickly. The world had nostalgic feelings when they saw them perform together in 2012 for the Olympic closing ceremony.

So why am I so excited and hoping for this reunion to actually happen? Well, even though I was super young during their time, I remember my sister and even my mom jamming out to their songs. But the nostalgic feelings are only part of it. The Spice Girls represent girl power. They inspired so many young women before and even to this day. They made sure that friendship always came first before any guy getting in the way. They were also fighting against the boy band stereotype at the time. Can you say girl power?

Courtesy: US Weekly

So if you’re a Spice Girls fan or not, be prepared for another British invasion coming (hopefully) soon. Once these 5 lovely ladies get together, they’ll be sure to revamp 90s fashion and we’ll all be trying to sing Scary’s part in “Wannabe.”

Carelyn is a student at Florida State University. She's double majoring in Editing, Writing, Media and Humanities. Carelyn loves pastel colors, thought-provoking books, and exploring the beautiful world.  
Her Campus at Florida State University.