SmartSnax: Healthy Eating Has Never Been Easier

We’re all guilty of it, making a promise to eat healthy foods and then immediately giving up as soon as we hear our roommate order pizza. Healthy eating and a healthy lifestyle can be challenging in college. Between a busy schedule and late-night trips to McDonald’s, there just doesn’t seem to be any time to make our health a priority. One brave FSU student, Courtney Simoncelli, saw this recurring issue and decided to take matters into her own hands. Thus, the beginning of SmartSnax, a brand new local business that makes healthy eating a priority.

SmartSnax delivers a box of fun, healthy snacks right to your door, making a healthy lifestyle more convenient than ever. Buyers can choose between three different sizes: small, medium or deluxe, and can even decide to buy a box one at a time or sign up for a subscription. The snacks are always soy free, gluten free, dairy free and non-GMO, perfect for anyone with strict dietary needs or simply interested in paying attention to what they eat. “It helped my life and I want to help other people’s lives. It’s good to treat your body nicely,” Simoncelli explained why healthy eating is essential to a vibrant and fulfilling life.”

Simoncelli’s passion for a health-conscious lifestyle stems from her own personal experiences. Being diagnosed with Stage 4 Endometriosis means that she’s needed to adhere to a strict anti-inflammatory diet, which also means that snacking can be difficult, especially here in college. SmartSnax is her way of introducing her favorite snacks to a whole new audience. She told us, “These are all snacks I’ve personally enjoyed and not just people with dietary restrictions would enjoy them, I think anybody would like them.”

These boxes are delivered right to your door and feature a new variety of snacks each month. They ship nationwide, but anyone in the Tallahassee area can get free shipping. Eventually Simoncelli hopes to work her way up and be able to offer customizable snack boxes, but for now, snackers will be introduced to new and unique foods that will make snacking a healthy adventure. These boxes are great for anyone, students and parents alike! These boxes are perfect for parents to send to their kids away at school in order to ensure they’re eating a healthy and balanced diet.

Like any good business in 2018, SmartSnax is online. You can follow them on Facebook, Instagram or check out their website. Simoncelli couldn’t have formed this business from the ground up on her own, she credits fellow FSU student Kristen Coquillard with designing the SmartSnax website, running social media, photography and marketing. Social media and word of mouth are essential to spreading the word, Simoncelli saying, “I had a lot of support and I wasn’t expecting that but it’s so nice and heartwarming to feel the support from people you know.”

Many college students all over the nation, not just here at Florida State, struggle with healthy eating and living a balanced life. SmartSnax is the answer to our prayers: convenient and delicious foods that making snacking a non-guilty pleasure. Support your fellow ‘Nole and encourage small business by using SmartSnax the next time you feel the urge to indulge.

All images courtesey of Courtney Simoncelli. 

Elizabeth Dorwart is Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus FSU. When she's not reading, writing, or editing articles, she enjoys trying new recipes from Pinterest or playing with her cats. Feel free to ask her any Taylor Swift trivia because she probably knows the answer.