nail polish flatlay
nail polish flatlay
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
Career

Shyne Nails and Her Successful Nail Venture

Ida just might be your new go-to person for obtaining Pinterest-worthy nail sets. She started this business as a way to combine her love for doing her nails into a business venture. To book appointments, you can direct message her through Instagram, where prices are almost half of some nail salons around the Tallahassee area, creating a direct market for college students who are looking for a manicure that won’t break the bank.

Her Campus (HC): Introduce yourself! What’s your name and Instagram handle?

Ida (I): Hi! I’m Ida but my brand is Shyne Nails and my handle is @shynenails on Instagram.

HC: When did you first get into doing nails, and when/why did you decide to start doing them yourself?

valentine nails
JillWellington

I: So, I’ve always have been into doing my own nails since I was a girl. Over time, I stopped getting my nails done because prices were just too expensive, so I decided to start doing my own. Then it built up to wanting to start doing others as I got better at it. I started about eight months ago because I was noticed that a lot of nail shops overpriced for simple designs and looks so I wanted to make a brand that’s affordable for the college students around me.

HC: What do you focus on when practicing before you gained clients?

I: When I first started, I practiced mostly focusing on disinfecting tools and a lot of drill work and prep work which all played a big part in how long the nails last. 

HC: What was the turning point when you realized you could make this into a business?

I: My turning point was when I started to learn how to advertise and market my brand which helped me bring in so many new clients. I ended up quitting my job full-time job at Walgreens and became a full-time nail artist.

HC: How do you continue to grow your business and stay up to date with the trends?

I: I continue to grow my business by engaging and advertising on Instagram every day. I tend to keep up with the trends by following other great popular nail artists and by searching for designs I like on the explore page for Pinterest. 

HC: What are the main ways you advertise your business and why did you choose that path?

Instagram @nailbrew

I: The main way I advertise my business is through Instagram. I love giving back to my customers, so I do giveaways that help me get views and more clients in. I also try to do random deals for my customers which also brings in engagement. I chose these paths because I wanted to get the most engagements I can to connect with future clients and to give back to them as well.

HC: Do you have any advice for anyone trying to start their own business?

I: My advice for anyone trying to start a business is remembered to have patience because it can get really stressful and overwhelming but as soon as your brand starts growing and you’re seeing all the hard work pay off and people admiring your work, it feels amazing.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok and Pinterest!

Jenna Harris is a freshman at Florida State University, majoring in advertising! She's a first-year staff writer for Her Campus and is also a part of the social media team, focusing on videos. Her hope is to publish her own novel in the future, but she can otherwise be found doing work at local coffee shops, exploring with friends, and hoping that FSU's football team gets better.