nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Shaakira White: Girl Boss Extraordinaire

If you are anything like me, your idea of the perfect weekly wind down might include a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon, your favorite snack (or two) and a binge session of your favorite YouTube star. Tallahassee-based content creator, Shaakira White has long been a favorite of mine. Her videos explore many of the taboo topics and day to day triumphs and tribulations that surround college life as well as provide viewers with insight into the ever-evolving world of beauty and fashion. Do not be mistaken, Shaakira White is so much more than a YouTube sensation and social media influencer. This past week, I had the pleasure of corresponding with this mogul in the making to discuss her many talents and the various projects she has curated throughout her years.

Her Campus (HC): Who is Shaakira White?

Shaakira White (SW):  I’m a podcast host, blogger, lifestyle vlogger and lover of humans. Beyond that, I am a graduate student at Florida State University where I am almost done with my Master’s degree.

HC: Where are you from and what are you currently studying at Florida State?

SW: I’m from Tallahassee, FL and I’m studying Integrated Marketing Communications. I’m also getting two graduate certificates in Digital Video Production and Multicultural Marketing Communications.

HC: What was your undergraduate experience like at Florida Agricultural & Mechanical University? What were a few pivotal moments during your undergraduate career?

SW: My undergraduate experience at FAMU was one of self-discovery. I met a lot of like-minded individuals and learned so much about my culture and the history of Black people in America. That experience is something I wouldn’t trade for the world. One pivotal moment for me was when I became a member of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. That entire experience really opened me up to my potential because I had a support system within the organization that pushed me to do things I may have been hesitant to do.

HC: What are your career aspirations?

SW: My ultimate goal is to have my own production company where I can create films and television shows that give life to stories that we don’t see on screen often. I want to tell diverse stories that show minorities and disenfranchised individuals as more than a one-dimensional person.

HC: You often describe yourself as a ‘Renaissance Woman’, what does that title mean to you?

SW: To me, that title came from really acknowledging how much I do. I always heard the term ‘Renaissance Man’ in reference to famous men in the past but I didn’t hear that about women often. I think a piece of that comes from the idea that women must be humble and downplay their accomplishments and gifts. By referring to myself as a Renaissance Woman, it forces me out of that small way of thinking about myself.

HC: What was the inspiration behind your podcast, Carefree and Black Diaries?

SW: I was told by two friends that I should really consider a podcast because people would want to hear what I thought about certain topics and I was extremely hesitant in the beginning. After the hesitant phase, I came up with the name because I wanted Carefree and Black Diaries to be a place where I could be transparent – like a diary – and listeners could listen along to my thoughts and if they found something relevant to their life, it would be all the more worthwhile.

HC: What does it mean to be a woman of faith?

SW: I’m still learning what this means daily. I think spiritual journeys are life-long and you never really arrive at a set destination… you’re constantly traveling this road where you’re hopefully learning more and more about yourself. At this point in my journey, being a woman of faith is to live your life with absolute certainty that nothing that happens is by chance and as long as you’re aligned with the will for your life, you’ll always end up where you need to be.

HC: Where did the concept for your blog, From Queen to Queens, originate? What do you hope to accomplish through your various entries?

SW: I started my blog in my living room with my mom and best friend at the time. I asked them to help me come up with a name and my mother suggested ‘From Queen to Queens’ because my middle name means Queen and it would be me talking to an audience of other Queens. I have different hopes for each entry on the blog. I want some entries to educate readers and I want some to entertain them. Some entries are less about the readers and more about trying to provide an outlet for my inner thoughts and feelings.

HC: What is your favorite part of being a lifestyle vlogger on YouTube?

SW: My favorite part about being a lifestyle vlogger is having a record of events for myself. My vlogs allow me to see how far I’ve come and really appreciate different moments I’ve been able to capture on camera. I love being able to watch vlogs from years ago and feel transported back into that place and time.

HC: What advice would you give to young women who are interested in building a brand or chasing a dream of their own?

SW: Do it. Don’t allow thoughts and reservations about chasing your dreams scare you into standing still. You either continue to wait and watch the world go by or you go for it and learn along the way. Nothing will ever be perfect. There is no perfect time to start, no perfect camera, no perfect microphone, there’s only you and your unique outlook on life. So, if you’re waiting for someone to give you permission to start whatever it is that you’ve been waiting to do, here’s your permission…do it!

All images and gif courtesy of Shaakira White.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Joelle Malika is a fourth year student at Florida State University studying English: Editing, Writing & Media with a passion for womxn's rights and social advocacy. When she isn't writing for HerCampus she is exploring her multitude of other interests which range from beauty and fashion to politics and activism. Instagram: @joelle.malika