Culture > News

A Search for the Best Rooms in Tally: Janelle and Leylanni

This week I had the chance to explore two rooms in apartments. Each room looks vastly different from the other, but each has a common theme of showcasing sentimental items. Whether it be through polaroid’s or gifts from a loved one, both these ladies showcased their styles while also making it feel like home. When decorating, different approaches were followed and different ideas were in mind, but each room told their story.

Apartment: Janelle

Janelle is a third-year communication major and has never lived in a dorm! Some may say she’s been lucky to not be cramped in a tiny room and to have her own space. I asked her to compare her room in her first apartment to the one she’s in now. She explained that when she moved into her first apartment in Tallahassee, she didn’t realize how many items and essentials an apartment required. Janelle further explained that her first room was relatively bare because of this and taught her everything she didn’t want for her new apartment next year. This year, Janelle had the idea of making her room like those seen on Urban Outfitters’ website but making it her own. This is most apparent in her bed area with the dark wood headboard and the wall above scattered with taped faux flowers and polaroids. I had seen similar ideas on Pinterest that I had always wanted to try, so I was super excited to finally see a well-executed one in person! When asked about this area, Janelle explained that it was all DIY, even the headboard! I was shocked to hear this due to the fact this area looked straight out of Urban.

Moving to the right was her desk area, I was drawn to this area because of the eclectic arrangement of her walls surrounding the desk. The pieces that were up all had sentimental value to them, whether it was birthday cards or little tokens of the places she’s been. This area also contained her favorite piece in the room, the chihuahua calendar. She explained that her friend gifted this to her because she loves this breed, despite the breeds criticism. She is also always excited to see a different dog every month. Janelle has managed to find pieces that look like they’d be pricey but are affordable. Her circle shelf near her desk was a piece I loved and when I asked where she bought it, she quickly responded she managed to find this piece at Marshall’s for only $20! Despite her room looking like it was inspired by Urban Outfitters, none of her pieces are from there! Overall, Janelle’s room was really one I could see as being home, but she says she is continually adding pieces as the year goes by.

Apartment: Leylanni

Leylanni is a senior majoring in computer science and has lived in her current apartment for two years. When asked what inspired her room design, Leylanni said that she has always liked the clean and simple look of Scandinavian designs but has recently taken an interest in mid-century modern designs. To reflect her new-found interest, she has added pieces that fit both aesthetics, especially her desk.

She explained that the biggest dilemma when decorating her space was sticking to a strict budget, especially for the look she wanted to achieve. The pieces that she had dreamed of were hundreds and hundreds of dollars, so she had to utilize Amazon and second-hand pieces from her family. Since many of her pieces on display are from her family and are personal relics from her past, this allowed her room to feel more like home. Leylanni explained that these pieces allowed her to constantly think of the memories associated with them, especially when it’s pieces that remind her of her mom and close friends. Along with her plants, these sentiments bring life to her room. When asked about her favorite piece she quickly responded that her vintage gold mirror is by far her favorite.

​When asked why Leylanni explained that she had always dreamed of having a mirror like this, but the ones found on sites like Urban Outfitters and Anthropologie were unattainable due to the high prices these stores were charging. Leylanni still remembers the feeling of finding this gem at a thrift store in South Florida for only $8! Although there are many mirrors scattered amongst her room, none compare to the accomplishment of finding her dream mirror for a great price. Leylanni’s room is full of many unique pieces that can’t be bought at just any store, each one representing some of her best memories.

All images courtesy of Vanessa Valles.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Editing, Writing and Media major at FSU with a minor in business. Lover of plants, home decor, soccer, and thrifting!
Her Campus at Florida State University.