Career

Say Hello To FSU ‘Strike’ Magazine’s 2021 Beauty Director

Helen Trawick is a name we should all learn. She is the ultimate boss babe leading the 2021 Florida State Uuniversity Strike Magazine Beauty Team. A girl that had never really explored the world of beauty until coming to Florida State in 2018 is now at the forefront of all the things fashion, makeup, styling, photography and much more.

“I have always had a niche for makeup and using it to fuel my creative side. People used to tell me that I should do something with it,” Helen said. That is when she decided to apply for Strike. Helen explained, “I mean I saw really cool people involved in the magazine so I was like maybe I should get involved too.” I sat down with Helen to learn more about how she went from never having any fashion opportunities in high school to directing beauty for one of the most well-known fashion magazines on campus.

girl with colorful eye makeup
Photo by Helen Trawick

Her Campus (HC): What is your role in Strike Magazine?

Helen Trawick (HT): I am currently Beauty Director.

HC: What are your duties and responsibilities in this role?

HT: This semester, Strike is doing 26 shoots between Feb. and March 27. Since I am a director, I have to be at every single shoot. I coordinate with the seven people on my team to see which one of them wants to do which shoot. I try to let them pick because it’s important to me that they are a part of the shoots that they feel best incites their creativity. I also meet with the other directors on a bi-weekly basis to discuss the upcoming shoots and ideas for the magazine. One of my most exciting responsibilities is coordinating and organizing the ‘beauty team’ shoot. This shoot highlights the beauty team, and we are really able to showcase and conceptualize our imaginations. I’m really not the kind of director that doesn’t allow my team a voice. They have such incredible ideas, and this shoot is so special because it allows us to bounce ideas off one another and come up with incredible ideas. Last year the beauty team shoot was called ‘bearing fruit.’ The idea behind it was based on liberating women through their sexuality.

HC: What is the most exciting part of your job?

HT: The beauty shoot for sure! I mean, don’t get me wrong, it is so stressful. I am scrambling every day. The thing is, when the visual comes together, it is all worth it! It is really so cool to see my team and I’s ideas come to life. A silver lining to shooting this year during COVID is that the team and I are the models for the beauty shoot, since finding models has been tough. Last semester I was in awe of them. They were so nervous to get in front of the camera, but once they did, they absolutely killed it!

girl sitting on picnic blanket
Photo by Helen Trawick

HC: Who are your style icons?

HT: I would say it is a mix between Matilda Djerf, Harry Styles and Stevie Nicks. Let me explain. Matilda is so put together; I mean, so chic in every way. Her Instagram is gold. I get my chic, sleek side from her! Then Harry; I mean c’mon, Harry Styles is incredible! Eclectic. Bold. Fabulous. He is so unafraid to express color and be himself, and I really admire that. But then I have a witchy side, so I really draw from Stevie Nicks.

HC: What are your favorite shoots to style?

HT: Definitely the shoots that utilize the most color. I love using makeup and fashion to be playful, fun and bold. I love a project that’s very runway-esque. 

HC: What has been your favorite shoot to style so far?

HT: There have been so many good ones it’s hard to choose! One that holds a special place in my heart would be ‘bearing fruit.’ It was the first one I ever did as a director. It was elegant, bold and sexual.

HC: What three makeup items could you not live without?

HT: I would say Benefit ‘goof proof ’ gel and brow pencil. Brows are my holy grail! Then bronzer, of course. I love Wet and Wild duo bronzer in the color ‘dulce de leche,’ the OG Hoola bronzer and Physicians Formula is a great drug store one! Lastly, Colourpop blush in the shade mic drop!

HC: What advice would you give someone who wanted to apply to be on the Strike team?

HT: I would say for the beauty team, what I noticed when going through the applications were the people who showed a variety of different looks. It’s good for applicants to really showcase what they can do. A mix of different techniques, colors and artistry will get you remembered. Always include photos. Don’t just write about what you can do…show it!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

I am a freshman at Florida State University. I am currently majoring in both Sociology and Psychology! I enjoy listening to every type of music, spending time with friends, and a good matcha latte. I am passionate about mental health awareness, the environment, equal rights for women, and education for young girls around the world!