Rachel and The City: Miley Cyrus Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop for Attention

When the time came again to think about my next topic for “Rachel and The City,” I began to think about what everybody and their mothers seemed to be talking about. My Twitter feed is full of it, E! Online doesn’t stop mentioning it, and just about every entertainment critic can’t stop ranting about it. So now, to finally free myself of all of my emotions and thoughts on the subject, I decided to write this week about the one and only: Miley Cyrus. 

I’d like to point out that I used to love Miley. Ask any of my friends and you’ll know that I have throwbacks in my music library with 24 songs directly from the Hannah Montana soundtrack (don’t judge me) and another 20 songs from Miley herself, when she lost her Hannah Montana identity and started to grow into her own skin. Miley wasn’t joking when she came out with her Can’t Be Tamed album in 2010 at only 17 years old. Who would have thought that three years later she’d have a shaved head and bleached eyebrows?! I guess we should have paid more attention to the album title.

Unfortunately, along with Cyrus’ hair and eyebrows, my love for her has disappeared. I know I’m one of the millions writing and posting about Cyrus, but I need to emphasize one thing: the shaved head, the VMA performance, the naked “Wrecking Ball” video, the breakup from Liam Hemsworth, IT’S ALL FOR ATTENTION!

Yes Miley, I’m giving you attention right now by writing about you and I’m sure if you knew this article existed you’d love it. However, my point is to urge Collegiette’s to do one thing and one thing only: STOP TALKING ABOUT MILEY CYRUS. I vow never to tweet about her, post a status about her, or write about her (once I finish this article) for the time being because I’ve noticed a pattern in her actions. The more attention Miley gets, the crazier she gets, and she needs to bring her crazy level down. The number of people hating her, trashing her, admiring her, and loving her all at the same time has only increased, and she doesn’t care which side you’re on as long as she’s getting your attention.

Some critics say Cyrus is on the path to becoming the next Amanda Bynes, but I don’t think so. Cyrus knows what she’s doing and it’s working, so she can’t stop and she won’t stop. Her recently released album, Bangerz, talks about her failed relationship with Hemsworth and the emotions she felt while dealing with the pain. Once again, she wants people to hate her and love her at the same time, and it’s working. Cyrus says her reasoning for her actions is to promote her “individuality,” but I guess we’ll never truly know (at least until Oprah interviews her).

When I was with my best friend in the car the other day, we both said to each other, “I could never picture Miley singing this now.”  Her lyrics had been full of innocence, yet we both agreed her voice sounds exactly the same. I will always admire Cyrus’ voice, just not the way she has chosen to portray herself in recent years.

You can call me a hater, but I call myself a confused girl who once admired Cyrus: not only her talent, but also her image. We can only hope that one day she will carry herself like the talented artist she truly is in a much classier manner. Until I witness this again, I now ignore her foam finger performances and bleached brows. And Collegiettes, for the record, bleaching your eyebrows is not a trend and never will be. If you think Cyrus’ acts are simply effects of her growing up and being herself, then by all means continue to believe that. But for now, I will continue to blast the old Miley and reminisce on the girl she used to be, refusing to give her the attention on social media that she craves more and more as the days go by.  

Editor-in-Chief, Her Campus FSU // Follow me @rachelepstein_
Kalie Marsch is a senior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing and Media within the College of English. She aspires to work in magazine publishing and editing in the future, and lives for New York Fashion Week. When she's not busy with work or school, she loves to shop, read magazines and online style blogs, sit down with a good book, or go to the gym. She is obsessed with New York City and plans to move there after graduating from college. Kalie also loves being involved on campus and meeting new people. She is super excited to work with Her Campus and looks forward to helping make the FSU chapter the best it can be!