Rachel and The City: The 5 Most Underrated Stress-Reducers

Like most Collegiettes, Monday through Thursday we often forget about what we want to do and focus more on what we need to do. Of course we have priorities, but sometimes the meetings, the school work and the random, extra tasks thrown at us throughout the days can become a bit overwhelming.

If you’re anything like me, when Monday rolls around, you pray for Friday simply because it’s the only day filled with the hope of relaxation and doing things you actually enjoy, stress-free. But ladies, I’m happy to announce that this “weekday stress hopelessness,” or whatever you’d like to call it, is about to change. I’ve compiled five of the most underrated stress-reducers we often forget we can turn to during the school week. Adding even one of these stress-reducers to your daily routine will have you saying goodbye to weekday stress and hello to Mondays, no matter how early they make us part with our beds. After all, it’s the little things, right?

1. Magazines

I have unread magazines from People to Vogue to BAZAAR piled on top of my desk and throughout my drawers because I never seem to make the time for them during my stressful weeks. I’m happy to say I’ve changed my ways and I promise picking up your favorite magazines for a light, simple read regarding your favorite celebrities, designers, trends, etc. will instantly help you relax and turn that frown upside down. Even the advice column in magazines such as Cosmopolitan can help you with certain types of stress you’re currently dealing with. It’s as simple as downloading an app or heading over to CVS/Publix to pick up a copy.

2. Long, Hot Showers

I don’t care what time of the day or night it is: if you’re stressed, take a shower. It’s so much apart of our daily routine that we often forget how significant showers really are. The hot water can wash away stressful thoughts and leave you feeling clean and refreshed, helping you reevaluate and focus on what really matters. And if showers aren’t your thing, pull out the body scrub, light some candles and soak yourself in a nice, hot bubble bath.

3. Tumblr

People often disregard Tumblr because they think it’s a site used to share your emotions with strangers. While this may be true for some, it’s also a mode of self-expression and a source of inspiration. There’s nothing like scrolling through your dashboard, coming across inspirational quotes and/or pictures, putting things into perspective and gaining the motivation to get done whatever you need to get done. For you Tumblr users, think about it. From images that remind you of your best friend to celebrities to the runway to cities across the globe, it all allows you to let go for a while and enter into another world. Just don’t get too caught up in it to the point where you can’t seem to find the “sign out” button even though you have that huge paper due (we’ve all done it).

4. Pictures & Memories

Tumblr brings me to my next underrated stress reliever: pictures. The other night, I had worn myself out so much from studying macroeconomics that I just needed to focus on something visual. I stumbled onto Facebook (no surprise) and I clicked on one of my friends’ tagged photos, finding an album full of pictures from our trip to Europe. As soon as I came across these memories, my stress level immediately began to go down. I forgot about everything in the present moment and scrolled through the crazy, unforgettable times I had with my best friends. I encourage you Collegiettes to go through any picture albums, new or old, and simply fall back in love with the memories. It can re-surface some nostalgia, but even more so it will bring you to that state of happiness and relief we often need to be led back to.

5. Best Friend Chats

Sometimes all you need is your best friend. If he/she asks you to go to dinner or hangout with them, but you feel hesitant and overwhelmed because you have a lot of things to do, just know you should always say yes. I live by the saying, “Friends are cheaper than therapy” and it couldn’t be any more accurate. Having weekly talks with your best friend can instantly relieve any of your stress from schoolwork to relationships or life in general. Opening yourself up to others, especially your closest, most supportive friends, will only leave you with positive vibes. 

Editor-in-Chief, Her Campus FSU // Follow me @rachelepstein_
Her Campus at Florida State University.