Is social media taking over our lives? How many times per day or even per hour do you check each various platform: Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat and Facebook? I know personally going 30 minutes without checking at least one platform, I feel as though I’m missing something or lacking new information. It goes beyond just the fact that sometimes it becomes a craving: social media has led us to believe that we must be perfect, that our lives must seem exciting. I’m not trying to tell you quit social media because I’m realistic and realize that isn’t possible. Many of us may be working towards careers where social media is at the center, and I’m not saying that social media is evil but what I do think is that sometimes we spend too much time engulfed in a world within a screen when there is so much out in the real world we are missing out on. 

You are more than social media

Courtesy: Harper’s Bazaar

Social media has put unrealistic views on us. A level of beauty and perfection has been created to live up to. Why is it that each platform involves validation from others, either through a like or retweet; where has the self-love gone? And I’m not saying that all of us feel the need to be approved by others, but it certainly is a problem within our society. On Monday November 2nd, Essena O’Neill, an Instagram famous model, used her social media accounts to announce that she was quitting social media altogether. She went on to change her Instagram name to “SOCIAL MEDIA IS NOT REAL LIFE,” as well as change the captions on her pictures to reveal the truth behind each shoot. 

While as of Thursday November 5th she is now being questioned on this action. People are wondering if this was a publicity stunt. It still raises the issue that we are a social media absorbed society. Whether you believe she used this as a publicity stunt or not, what we can take away is that she is using the status she has to bring attention to a real issue and she definitely isn’t the first to talk about it, but she is the first that the media is covering so highly. It definitely impacts our generation when a 19 year old has the strength to take herself away from social media and find happiness elsewhere. Comparing ourselves to others has been something that’s been happening constantly and with the presence of social media it happens more often than not. Essena O’Neill stated on her website LetsBeGameChangers, “When you stop comparing and viewing yourself against others, you start to see your own spark and individuality. Everyone has love, kindness, creativity, passion and purpose. Don’t let anyone tell you something different.” You’re beautiful and unique!

Take time to connect with others 

Courtesy: Lets be Game Changers

When you’re walking to class notice how many people are walking and staring down at their phones. We are so enchanted by our phones, tablets and laptops that we forget to look up from the screen and actually talk to the person sitting next to us. When’s the last time you went to dinner and didn’t look at your phone? Phones have become such an important part of our everyday lives that it’s second nature to pick it up and open Instagram, Twitter or Facebook just to kill time or to fill the silence. Sometimes when we meet up to hang out with friends there is a lull in the conversation because you’ve either been texting all day or you’ve seen each social media update that you’re already caught up. 

What if instead of checking our phones twenty times a day we discuss real world issues or make friends with someone new? We spend so much time looking down at our phones that we miss all that could be going on right in front of us. A Time article stated it’s been found that when you no longer have off-screen interactions, you lose the ability to empathize and have true reactions to real problems and real things.

Quit Social Media?

Courtesy: Digital Detox

Now as I stated before, it is unrealistic to quit social media. I don’t think quitting social media is the answer, but instead just separating ourselves from it every once in a while could help. In many ways social media is incredible; for one, we are able to connect with family or long distance friends and not feel like you know nothing about their lives anymore. It’s also a great tool to stay updated on your favorite celebrities or companies. What I’m proposing is try to go a whole day without checking social media and then push yourself to not check every second for a text. Go for a walk, make a friend or go out to lunch and leave your phone at home, get to really know your friends again and most of all know how awesome you are without the validation of a like! Unplug and open your eyes to the world in front of you.

I am currently a junior at Florida State University, studying Editing, Writing and Media. I have a passion for fashion and I love all things pop culture. After graduating I hope to pursue a career in journalism as for now I am simply trying to balance: school, work, having a social life and when I can sleep! I'm taking each day as it comes, and enjoying this journey that is life.
Her Campus at Florida State University.