Style > Beauty

Quarantine Care: Why Now Is the Perfect Time to Start Building Your Skincare Routine

So, you’ve always wanted to try a new skincare routine, cleanser, serum, moisturizer, and all of the rose quartz and jade rollers you can find. Well, now is the perfect time to do it. Yes, quarantine sucks but this is the perfect time to get out your laptop do some research, order some things from Amazon (if you can) and start your journey to Kylie Jenner-looking skin. There’s no one to impress and you’re cooped up inside your house for days on end without anything to do. Here are a few things to jump start inspiration.

Know your body and your skin

three women with face masks
Anna Shvets

The first thing that is super important to starting any new routine is to know your skin and your body. Make sure you know your skin type and any allergies you may have to potential ingredients in products. More natural products have common allergens in forms of oils and extracts such as macadamia nut oil or almond extract. Being informed is the best way to let the process of choosing products go smoother. Look at these identifiers stated by the American Academy of Dermatology | Association to easily identify what skin type you have.

“Sensitive skin may sting or burn after product use”

“Normal skin is clear and not sensitive”

“Dry skin is flaky, itchy or rough”

“Oily skin is shiny and greasy”

“Combination skin is dry in some areas and oily in others”

Do your research

laptop and coffee
Sincerely Media on Unsplash

This is the first step in choosing products, you need to do a good amount of research to make sure you are choosing the right products for your skin type and not wasting money on products that will not benefit your skin. Look at different credible websites, and maybe a few credible blogs to see what the professionals have to say. It’s also important to get personal reviews on products. If you’re looking at specific products, look for YouTube trials of those products that aren’t being sponsored to get real opinions on them.

Have a skincare arsenal ready 

skincare
Charisse Kenion

Once you have an idea of some products you want to use and that seem right for your skin, try and see if you can get samples or small portions of them so you aren’t wasting your money. If the products you chose don’t work out right away, don’t worry! It takes time to learn what your skin needs to keep it clean and smooth. Try doing some more research, look at the ingredients and see if you can tell what was irritating your skin, which will help when replacing products and starting again.

Test each product separately

If you are introducing multiple new products into your routine it is key to test each product individually. This is to prevent skin reactions and to make sure you know what product is causing that reaction. It is recommended to do a small test patch on the inside of your wrist to see if any negative result occurs over the course of a day. If nothing happens, then you should use the product for at least a week and make sure no reactions are occurring. If nothing happens then it becomes a permanent member of your skincare arsenal!

Repeat the process and work that new skin

Woman Lying on White Textile With Sliced Cucumbers on Her Eyes
Breakingpic from Pexels

Once you get into the swing of it, you’re going to be buying skincare products left and right. It’s important to make note of what works for your skin and what doesn’t, so have fun with it! Make a skincare journal, watch videos, and just take your time (which you probably have plenty of during quarantine). Please remember that your skin’s health is affected by everything, daily activity, diet, exercise, and genetics! So do not get discouraged if simply changing your skincare products aren’t doing anything. You are working with chemicals and other ingredients so if you need help, contact your local dermatologist or healthcare professional. And as always, just remember to take a step back and know that no matter what your skin looks like you will always be beautiful inside and out!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Hey! My name is Helena Denny, I am a Media Communications Studies student at Florida State University!
Her Campus at Florida State University.