Wellness

Put a Finger Down if TikTok Ruined Your Attention Span

If you’re reading this, you probably put a finger down. With TikTok acting as the sole entertainment for many during quarantine, attention spans have deteriorated nearly beyond repair. A 60-second Tiktok could come across my “For You Page” but before you know it, I’m scrolling away because who has the time? But with Zoom University back in session, optional 60-second TikToks turned into mandatory 60-minute lectures – and there’s no scrolling away! For everyone who put their finger down, I’ve got a few tips for you that’s guaranteed to help you re-focus in this digital age.

Stop multitasking!

I know there’s a lot of things to get done and seemingly not enough time to do it. However, multitasking is not only ruining your attentive capacity but also is impacting the quality of your tasks. Doing homework for one class in the middle of a Zoom lecture for a different class will confuse your brain on the topics you’re learning. So, when it comes time to do that math quiz, you’ll be wondering why history is stuck in your head all of a sudden. 

“Do Not Disturb” is your best friend!

Trust me, Do Not Disturb (DND) can do a lot for you. Setting time frames during the day where your devices aren’t pinging repeatedly with notifications can aid your ability to focus. It takes someone up to 25 minutes to refocus themselves once they’ve been distracted and that can waste a lot of time. Helpful tip: create a favorite contacts list and allow their calls to come through during your DND hours for emergencies only (ex. I have my immediate family set to reach me by phone call even during DND hours).

blurry lights spelling \"focus\"
Photo by Stefan Cosma from Unsplash

Have effective study sessions!

The way you study can both influence and be influenced by your ability to focus. To have more effective study sessions, always write your notes, whether on paper or a tablet device. Your notes don’t have to be studyblr worthy, but just by spending intentional time writing letter by letter allows you to understand and remember the information you’re consuming. 

Also, random thoughts can be intrusive, especially while reading, so try reading out loud (if you’re alone, that is). It helps with focusing and keeping stray thoughts from interrupting your thought process. 

And of course, it’s important to take breaks! Just be sure that they’re not too often and not too long. Taking productive breaks will allow you to step back from your task but also avoid getting too distracted during those breaks. Avoid social media during your breaks because I know better than anyone how easy it is to get carried away as you’re scrolling. Use the Screen Time feature on Apple iPhones to monitor your app usage, schedule downtime, and create app limits. Also, check out methods like the Pomodoro Study Technique to see if it’s the right study style for you.

Listen to the RIGHT music!

I don’t know about you guys but I need background noise while studying or focusing on a task. Music without lyrics is the best for this and classical music is often suggested, but let’s be honest, it’s a little boring. However, there’s plenty of instrumental tracks out there that help to complete tasks without diverting your attention. My go-to are these Lo-fi playlists by ChilledCow, which you can find on Spotify or streaming live on YouTube. The playlists feature a variety of chill beats for acting as background noise. Plus, nothing is tempting you to sing along!

Journal in front of laptop
Photo by Nick Morrison from Unsplash

Meditation!

Meditation can be hard for some people who just can’t sit still, but by finding time to meditate a few times every week, you’ll be able to build up your attentiveness and reduce stress. For beginners, you may not know where to start, so check out this video or this YouTube playlist on ideas for 10-minute meditation sessions that you can schedule into your week.

Find time to implement all these tips in your daily life and I can promise that your attention span will be back to normal in no time. I’d love to stay and share more, but I have to hurry and try this TikTok trend first!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Nyala Thomas earned her B.S. in Media/Communication Studies with a Film Studies minor and continues at FSU's College of Motion Picture Arts Master of Fine Arts Program. 90% of her time is spent creating, whether that be through making YouTube videos and short films, or writing up scripts!
Her Campus at Florida State University.