Phoenix Barker: Aspiring Law Student, Ambitious Leader and Delta Gamma President

Name: Phoenix Barker

Age: 21

Year: Junior

Major(s): Double Major in Political Science and Sport Management with a minor in Sociology 

Hometown: Deland, FL

Photo By: Annie Grafe

Her Campus (HC): I know you are involved with quite a lot on campus and serving as president of Delta Gamma is your main priority. What does a typical day look like for you? 

Phoenix Barker (PB): Every single day has its own challenges but definitely answering emails, texts, and meetings all the time. It’s all about time management and punctuality, but it gets easier after practice (haha). 

HC: What would you say is the most challenging part about your role as president?

PB: Definitely that I’m a perfectionist. When something doesn’t go quite my way, it’s hard for me to let it go. But this position has taught me that nothing is ever perfect, and the imperfections are simply lessons learned for the next person who gets to lead this chapter. 

HC: That is a great piece of advice! What would you say is the most rewarding part then?

PB: For me, the most rewarding part is the feeling of accomplishment that I get to experience next to my best friends. No matter how big or small, working and getting things done successfully, especially for the betterment of my chapter, makes it all worth it at the end of the day. But, it wouldn’t ever be the same if I didn’t have such amazing women by my side as a constant support system. 

HC: Going back to recruitment, when did you realize Delta Gamma was the right chapter for you? 

PB: Coming to FSU, I actually had no idea what a sorority even entailed. I wouldn’t say there was a distinct moment, because throughout the recruitment process, DG was my number one choice.  Every woman was genuine, sweet, and beautiful on top of that, and there was a sense of mystery that made me want to know more about it. I really didn’t find that in another chapter. I fall more in love with this chapter every single day- college would not have been the same without it. 

HC: If you could describe your organization in three words, what would they be?

PB: Talented, diverse and ambitious. 

HC: In joining your chapter, did you always aspire to hold an executive position?

PB: I remember walking into DG my freshman year thinking, “I will be president of this chapter one day.” But never did I think it would actually happen.

HC: What advice would you give to someone seeking an executive position within his or her own chapter?

PB: If you want something, go get it. There’s no use in holding back; make it known to everyone what your goals and ambitions are and make it happen. 

HC: I can definitely agree on that! What have you learned from your role as a leader of your chapter?

PB: I would say I’ve learned a lot about myself that I would have never known. It has pushed me beyond my limits, made me stronger and wiser, and challenged me to think differently. It’s allowed me to evolve into the leader that I am today.

HC: That’s really great to hear. How has your experience in your sorority, both as a member and as a leader, impacted you?

PB: The experience I’ve had in Delta Gamma is nothing short of indescribable. There’s that saying that goes, “From the outside looking in, you can’t understand it. From the inside looking out, you can’t describe it.” It couldn’t be more true of this chapter. DG has opened so many doors for me, within school and for my future career that I would’ve never had without it. 

HC: In addition to Delta Gamma, what else are you currently involved with or have been involved with in the past?

PB: I am the Vice President of Recruitment for the Pre-Law Society, I was recently was initiated into Garnet & Gold Key Leadership Honorary, formerly a student senator for the College of Education where I served on the Internal Affairs Committee, and formerly the Public Relations Chair for Delta Epsilon Iota. 

Courtesy: Phoenix Barker

HC: Aside from leadership, I know you’ve expressed great interest in law and have held various internships. How do you plan to pursue this passion?

PB: I plan to attend law school after graduation. I’m really not sure what type of law I would like to go into, but I’m leaning towards Sport Law. 

HC: Who is your biggest inspiration or role model?

PB: My role model is definitely my mom. She is dedicated, driven and someone that anyone would look up to. She is an amazing woman and has taught me so many valuable things that I will carry with me throughout my life.

HC: Last but not least, what has been your fondest memory at Florida State thus far?

PB: That’s definitely a tough one, and I don’t think I’ll be able to answer. All the people I’ve met here, how they have impacted me, are all different and special. The amount of memories I’ve made thus far could never be topped. Florida State couldn’t have been a better choice.

Jordana is a recent graduate of The Florida State University with a Bachelor of Science in public relations. She aspires to work in public relations and digital media in New York City. She is well-versed in pop culture, social media management, press release writing and content creation. Originally from Coral Springs, Florida, Jordana enjoys writing, networking and spending time outdoors. On most days, you can find her researching industry trends, Tweeting and scavenging the internet for new music, ODESZA and Beyonce tunes to be specific. Stay in tune with her daily whereabouts via Twitter: @JordanaJudson.   
Her Campus at Florida State University.