When I was younger, I kept a diary. It was pink with white and yellow daisies but I didn’t use it much. At the time, I had this idea that people who kept diaries had to write in them every day. I had this pressure to write every day, to make every day worthy enough to write about. I had this same mentality up until a few years ago when I was introduced to journaling. I hadn’t written my thoughts down on paper since I was little — the only things I took to paper were my creative writing stories — but with the introduction of technology into my storytelling, I found myself typing my fictional stories and forgetting all about my journals.

However, around a year ago, I went through a breakup that left me annoyed but not quite angry. I had a hard time processing my emotions because I couldn’t fully comprehend them. That same month, on my birthday, one of my closest friends gave me a set of three Van Gogh journals. At first, I thought I wouldn’t use them, but in retrospect, those three journals have to be one of the best gifts I’ve ever gotten.

Since then, I’ve carried around a journal in my bag. I would journal in my free time about any emotion I was having a hard time comprehending. As my emotions healed, I began to write about things I found interesting and ideas I wanted to explore deeper. Recently, I have toyed with the idea of death and how humans tend to hold on to other living beings, regardless of how different that life may be from human life. I have discussed with my journal the guilt I have felt regarding some of the choices I have made and the ways I have hurt those closest to me. Most recently, I have written about yearning and grieving the loss of the living. I write letters in my journals that sit untouched and unread by those to whom I address them.

I have fallen in love with how journaling has allowed me to get to know myself more and how I no longer feel the need to write about daily life. Now, I am happy with writing about my feelings and thoughts and not taking myself too seriously. I let myself write whenever inspiration strikes me. That may be one or two sentences one day and seven pages a couple of days later. Either way, it has become something I look forward to doing. Being vulnerable with myself is something that has become sacred because I don’t have to pretend to be someone that I’m not when journaling — it’s freeing. Whenever I have something I need to get off my chest but am not comfortable enough to share, I know that I have myself and my journal as listeners.

Journaling does what typing on a computer can’t. Something about writing my thoughts down and making them tangible makes them deeply personal to me. I can go back and read them in a way I wouldn’t have been able to if I had typed them out. I can flip through the pages and recall where I was as I wrote them, and how a tear-stained page becomes a page I can laugh to myself about long after its events no longer affect me. I guess that’s why I have found friendship in the pages of my journal: they’re an extension of myself I can hold and try to comprehend. They have gotten me through break-ups, through missing home, through new friendships and the mourning of the old ones and through self-exploratory paths. Journaling has allowed me to know myself in ways I wouldn’t have been able to had I not taken the time to deconstruct myself into its pages.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Dulce Ordonez is an English Creative Writing major at FSU, pursuing a double minor in Political Science and History. Currently she is an editor for Her Campus and a staff writer for FSView. She loves reading, writing, listening to music, and creating art. You can find more on her Instagram @d._.ordonez