Life is a constant yet simultaneous array of existence. And, at times, it can be terrifying to slow down for a moment in fear of getting lost in its grips. “What if I’m missing out?” “I just know I’m falling behind.” “What if he doesn’t like me?” “I’m never going to be okay.” It’s human nature to let these anxieties take over our minds. We never stop or rest because if we do, what about the future? But I promise you, the future is then, and the present is now. Stay in the now. The future will come, but this present will not follow you.

I can almost guarantee you any person who tells you they don’t care about what people think is lying through their teeth. We’re always going to care, and we’re always going to be self-conscious about infinite, finite problems that won’t affect you in t-minus a week. It’s about taking those anxieties and persevering despite their terrifying possibilities. It’s not letting your fears take away irreplaceable opportunities because you’re afraid about what might happen. I know, it’s a cheesy notion: “It’s better to try and fail than to never try at all,” but it’s nevertheless one we don’t talk about enough.

And so, some more time goes by—maybe even years—and you’re working a job. It may even be your dream one. But, all you can think about is everything you haven’t achieved. You never learned to paint or read that book you always swore you would in college. You haven’t fallen in love or visited the English countryside. My point is: there’s always going to be things you haven’t done. So, do the little things in life. You’re going to feel insecure, terrified and insignificant at times. Isn’t that a part of being human? It’s about continuing to move even when you feel you don’t have the strength in you until you do. So many of us, myself included, seem to convince ourselves, “If I can do this, everything will be okay. I’ll be fine. I just need to get through this next week,” but we always manage to find something else we feel we can’t do. One will never be content if they live in the future and spend the time they do have wishing it away. It’s okay to feel like you’re falling behind, but it isn’t okay to stay behind. If you’re feeling that way, you’re on the right track: you care.

The bravest thing anyone can do is try. No matter the probabilities, there’s a chance you’ll succeed if you do and a 100 percent chance you won’t if you don’t. Applying to college? Brave. Showing up to class? Even braver. It’s one thing to apply. It’s another to do. Every day you get up and try, you’re that much closer to what you didn’t have before. Don’t spend all of your time wishing you were different or wishing it was next week so your presentation was over. Wishing you were smarter or prettier or funnier. Spend it enjoying the now. Try new things and learn new hobbies. Hug your friends and hold your family because life is a series of moments, much of which will be forgotten.

Every failure is a motivation that will take you that much closer to your goal. And when you hit that goal? Keep on moving some more. It’s all about the little things; in 50 years, you won’t be thinking about that test you didn’t pass. You’ll be thinking about your best friend’s birthday party and your favorite place to eat good ice cream. Don’t let your fears hold you back. Push back and let them motivate you through life because time is of the essence.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Jillian is currently attending Florida State University and majoring in editing, writing, and media. Her interests include reading, movies/tv shows, music, cooking, writing, and more! She loves Taylor Swift and Ben Platt, and of course Her Campus. Contact: Instagram: jilliankaplann Snapchat: jilliankaplan7