Wellness > Health

Pink Isn’t Just a Color: Period Poverty and What We Can Do About It

Most people know what poverty is, as we’ve learned about it since elementary school. What is more of a niche subject, however, is period poverty. Women around the world, and even in the United States, experience this problem. According to BMC Women’s Health, an “estimated 500 million people worldwide” experience period poverty, which is the lack of supplies for menstruation. This includes but is not limited to pads, tampons, and medicine for cramps.

Menstrual supplies are extremely pricey, which results in them being unattainable to some women and individuals. Imagine having to go to school without the proper supplies to keep you comfortable and sanitary. It is a simply unacceptable situation that nobody should have to go through. Here’s how a woman in Tampa is taking action to help eliminate period poverty in her area — and how you can too.

WHY THIS IS SO IMPORTANT

Poverty affects all too many people, but some have an additional challenge because of the added expense of period products. The average woman will spend about $18,000 in her lifetime on period products, not including added supplies like medicine and heating pads. People all over the world struggle to afford and obtain products that make the uncomfortable menstruation process just a little more bearable.

Some of these women may be girls you know — you just don’t see it. Many girls, even in the United States, must choose between education and money. Many struggle with embarrassment at school or the workplace because they don’t have the proper hygiene products. Nobody should ever have to decide between comfort or education. Girls, as always, should support girls. So if you see someone in need of a pad or tampon, give them one if you can— karma will make sure to reward you!

TAMPA PERIOD PANTRY

Ever heard of “Little Libraries?” These are the free, take-one-leave-one libraries that scatter parks and streets and look like mailboxes. Well, in Tampa, you can spot a new version of these, instead filled with period products! No more on-the-go bleeding through your pants because you forgot a pad.

Period pantries are accessible to anyone, making them a great source for those who are struggling silently to obtain period products or even those who are on the go and in need of some supplies. The Tampa period pantry is still in the making and only has one location so far, but there are more to come! Women everywhere should be inspired — I know I am! This is such an amazing new take on helping those in need, and I hope to see similar good deeds around campus!

PERIOD POVERTY AT FSU

There are approximately 25,000 female students that attend Florida State, so if 25% of women who experience menstruation also experience period poverty, that means roughly 6,250 women on campus might face this struggle. Women all over campus may be silently struggling to provide themselves with menstrual products. While various bathrooms at FSU are stocked with free tampons, is this enough? Maybe we should come together to start a club or organization that could raise money and support these women across campus, and even around the world!

WHAT YOU CAN DO

There are various foundations that you can help by donating or volunteering to support women who experience period poverty, such as The ZamZam Foundation or The Menstrual Movement. The newest and easiest way, in my opinion, is to support local Florida women by donating to the Period Pantry. They have many ways for eager volunteers to donate and help! Also, being kind and sharing supplies with someone who is in need is always a wonderful way to start. Who knows? Maybe you’ll start an acts-of-kindness chain!

Women supporting women is one of the best concepts. Let’s keep an eye out for girls that need just a little extra help affording these products, to make their day just a little bit better!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Hi! My name is Vega Scholpp and I'm a freshman at FSU! This is my second semester writing for Her Campus. I am a Media/Communication Studies Major, studying to be a Broadcast Journalist. In my free time I love to read, go to the beach, listen to Taylor Swift, play sports, and have game nights with my friends! Go Noles!