Life > Experiences

My Sophomore Year vs. Junior Year Hot Takes: What’s Changed?

Around this time last fall, I published my sophomore year hot takes, but this fall there are certain things my opinions have changed on, and some things I have stayed absolutely firm on. The first half of this article is my completely new junior year hot takes. The second half is a short review of my last year’s hot takes from the position of one whole year of wisdom older. 

My Junior Year Hot Takes

Timing is Everything

There are movies, endless heartbreaking quotes, sappy poetry, and intense literature on the timing of the universe. Spiritual or not, religious or not, there has to be an essence of the truth regarding the timing of certain life events. I believe in this fully, and not in a right-person-wrong-time kind of way, but in a way that is objective. Certain things happen at a certain time — this can be good or bad — but if you are the one making the decisions, consider the timing of them. Is there a real difference in your abilities when turning an assignment in at 11:59 a.m. or 11:59 p.m.? Maybe leaving your house five minutes early helped you find a parking spot in one of the forever-full garages (Woodward and Traditions). Timing is everything, and it helps to remember and consider that. 

Having Good Friends Needs More Appreciation

Maybe it’s because I’m having a less-than-quarter-life crisis or the fact that the “what are you planning on doing after graduation” questions are multiplying, but I recognize now more than ever that having a good circle of people is important. You will have a crisis. This doesn’t mean a bad one, but you will go through something big or small that changes the way you view things, and it will happen because c’est la vie (that’s life). When this happens, you will need someone, and having a friend or just one person you know will be there for you in the midst of these changes will help you center yourself. Whether it’s found family, family, or friends, surrounding yourself with good people and good energy can make a difference. 

Sleeping Is Chronically Underrated

If you are remotely near a college campus, it’s common to hear people talking about how little sleep they’ve gotten. This is a problem. If you haven’t heard it in a while, let me be the one to say: you need to sleep. We have all pulled that all-nighter, and we have all procrastinated on doing something, but not sleeping should not be the norm! There is a reason the health officials want you to get those eight hours of sleep every night. Prioritize your sleep whenever you can because not sleeping will catch up to you, so try to reverse your poor sleeping habits before it does.  

Maybe There Are Dumb Questions, but Not Asking Is a Dumb Decision 

Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Ask for help in school, at home, and whenever you need it. You’d be surprised by how many people are willing to help you if you just ask. From one independent person to another, asking for help when you need it or want it doesn’t make you less independent; it just means you know how to help yourself. 

Reviewing My Sophomore Year Hot Takes

19 IS A REALLY WEIRD AGE

My response: 20 is also a weird age! Welcome to your newest decade, you have certain rights still, but you don’t have certain rights… still. 

HAVING A GOOD HOBBY IS IMPORTANT

My response: I could not agree more. Finding your hobby and trying new ones is the easiest way to make time for yourself and the things you love. 

STUDYING CORRECTLY MATTERS

My response: This is true. When you are finally in your major and taking academically challenging classes, you need to maximize your time to get through tough material. Knowing how to study will help you do that. 

SOPHOMORE YEAR OF COLLEGE IS HARDER THAN PEOPLE EXPECT

My response: Get ready for more challenges, because junior year is known to be hard for a reason. Maybe your classes aren’t challenging, but scheduling your time is, or maybe it is both or the other way around. Buckle up because junior year could be harder than you yourself expected. 

YOU NEED COMFORT SHOWS

My response: I am altering my take to include movies. Watching the same show over and over again is time-consuming, and there are such amazing shows out there. My personal favorites right now are The Bear, Insecure, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Peaky Blinders, and the newest season of Sex Education. I’m not telling you to stop rewatching your favorite show for the fifth time, but I am telling you to consider starting one of these too. 

HAVING NOTHING TO DO AFTER A TEST IS A BAD IDEA

My response: I now disagree with this. Sometimes doing nothing is exactly what you need after doing something mentally taxing. Maybe having nothing to do after an exam is a good thing because it gives you room to do anything. 

GOING HOME IS A MUST

My response: Finding where you call home and going there is a must. If you have a good relationship with your parents, why not give them a call? The weather is getting cold, and I bet someone misses you. Call your family (found family included) and whoever you are missing because if you can’t go and visit your home right now, a call is the next best thing. 

I hope you enjoyed this read and it challenged you to think about your own (insert college year) hot takes. What has changed and what has stayed the same? Growth is not linear, so don’t be afraid to try new things and change your mind a million times as long as you find new things you like! 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube, and Pinterest!

Makenna is from Miami, Florida, and is currently studying Political Science. She enjoys drinking coffee and finding new coffee shops. She loves music, movies, makeup, reading, and is always open for movie recommendations!