Life > Academics

My Sophomore Year of College Hot Takes

In my sociology class, I learned that we don’t have unique experiences, so when people say they have never had an original thought in their brain, it’s probably true. College is hard. I know when I say this, it means someone out there has also accidentally slept through class, stressed over a bad assignment score or cried after that ‘I’m sure I could get at least a B exam’ was finally graded. As a sophomore in college, I think I am doing well and other times I do less than well at keeping myself together. As I get close to finishing my first semester of sophomore year of college, here are a few of my hot takes.

19 is a really weird age

Sophomore year of college for the majority of students means starting the year at 19 and then celebrating turning 20 as the semesters go by. Getting older is scary to me, but what is weird about 19 is that it is your in-between year and the final teenage year. 18 is a brand new legal status, 20 is the beginning of your next decade of life, while 19 is too young to legally purchase alcohol, rent a car or in some states, gamble at a casino. At 19, you are a legal adult who can and should vote or buy a lottery ticket, but it is your final year living the teenage dream. Knowing this, it seems as if your life should be put a little more together than last year, but most of us sophomores are still figuring it out. 

Having a good hobby is important

Giving yourself a way to wind down after a long day is essential. It’s fun to have something you can be excited about doing after classes and even have a chance to enjoy something outside of school. Whatever hobby you have could make a not-so-good day a better one. I love movies and books, so doing both is a must in my everyday life. Just remember that you are never too busy to prioritize yourself. 

Studying correctly matters

Your study methods will define the grades you receive, the amount of sleep you get and the time you have left over to do other things. Finding a suitable study method for yourself is vital. A popular one is the Pomodoro Method, where you essentially study in 25-minute increments with small breaks after/in between. However, whatever works for you may be completely different. If that means blasting classical music, studying for hours one day a week or carrying around 90 flashcards, do it. And if you can’t find a good and effective study method, try out new things! Finals are around the corner and it’s time for you to improve your sleep schedule. 

Sophomore year of college is harder than people expect

We always hear about how freshman year is the hardest because it is a big change from the life most of us led before. Because of this, what I call the Sophomore Stress, Sophomore Scaries and Sophomore Sadness came out of nowhere. The classes are more difficult. If you’re involved on campus, sometimes it’s hard to time manage. I was making decisions about my degree, studying for midterms and missing home in the same week. Check on your sophomore friends. Many of us are literally taking it one day at a time. I do want to say that while the year isn’t the easiest, sophomore year for me meant making new friends and getting to enjoy new clubs. 

You need comfort shows

With the start of fall, I may rewatch a couple of episodes of Gilmore Girls or rediscover a TV series I was once obsessed with. There is something about just being able to turn on a TV show that feels blissful. If you are a college student, finding a comfort show you like doesn’t have to be hard! Your friends are excited to tell you about a new show they’ve discovered. A comfort show will change your life and might even introduce you to new people. I was talking about the best television show to ever come out of Shonda Rhimes’ genius, aka How To Get Away With Murder, and I had a whole conversation with someone who overheard. Find a comfort show. People are depending on you for recommendations. 

Having nothing to do after a test is a bad idea

Take it from me: if I have a test and nothing to do for the rest of the day, I will sit and obsess over the questions I answered and invent mistakes I could have made. You should plan to do an activity after a stressful exam. There are so many things you want to do and now you probably have a little time. Listen to that album you’ve been meaning to, find a new conspiracy theory or grab coffee with a friend. After any exam, midterm or final, just make sure you get out and do something. This could stop you from worrying about an exam that we all know won’t give us a Canvas-graded notification for a while. 

Going home is a must

I feel like freshman year, I was very homesick and although I don’t feel that level of homesickness now, going back home will forever reset me. That being said, I love going home to my family, but if you are someone who doesn’t, it is perfectly okay for you to find the meaning of home somewhere else. When I say going home is a must, I mean wherever home is to you. 

Above all, no matter what grade you’re in, college is hard. There are many things I still haven’t figured out about life being a sophomore and probably won’t figure out even after graduation. I hope I stressed enough in this article that it is essential to prioritize you. You are doing great even when you think you aren’t. Give yourself a break; you deserve it! While you’re on this break, go see Wakanda Forever coming out Nov. 11. If you find a good comfort show or movie, my DMs are always open for suggestions! 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Makenna is from Miami, Florida, and is currently studying Political Science. She enjoys drinking coffee and finding new coffee shops. She loves music, movies, makeup, reading, and is always open for movie recommendations!