Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Everything I’ve Learned from “Sex Education” in its Three Seasons

Season three of Sex Education was released on Sep. 17, and unsurprisingly, I have already finished watching it all. After I finished, I did my usual routine of digesting all the twists and turns that the show threw on me by listening to the soundtrack over and over again (side note: the soundtrack for Sex Education is absolutely phenomenal).

As I sat there digesting, I realized that I had learned almost all the information I know about sex and sex education from shows instead of actual school (a.k.a. the place supposed to teach you important information, but we will save that debate for a different article.) Everyone should know the basics about anatomy and sex education, so below, I have compiled the top five things I have learned from Sex Education.

1. it’s okay to say no.

This is the number one lesson for everyone. When it comes to sex and all aspects of it, the most important thing to know is that it’s okay to say no. If anyone ever makes you feel like it’s not okay to say no, you need to get rid of them immediately. It is still valid whether you say no from the beginning or halfway into whatever you’re doing. It’s important that you and your partner feel comfortable with every action you both decide to take.

2. It’s normal to have sex, but it’s also normal to not have sex.

Many people fail to realize that the universal experience growing up is that there is no universal experience. Some will lose their virginity in high school, some will lose it in college and some will wait until marriage. The point is that everyone’s experience will differ, and that’s the only thing that will be the same. What’s important is to remember not to rush and make sure you’re comfortable with yourself and your partner. 

3. Don’t be afraid to explore your sexuality. 

When it comes to sexuality, many feel overwhelmed and scared to discover new parts of themselves. Growing up, we are taught to look at things in binary ways; male versus female, strong versus weak and dominant versus submissive. Most people then learn more about the world and all the different gender and sexual identities one can identify with. People usually fail to realize that when exploring your sexuality, it’s normal to change your mind (multiple times). It’s normal not to feel connected to one specific label, and it’s normal to feel frustrated. Going through life means going through changes. These changes will change how you identify and think, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

4. everyone is insecure.

Everyone seems to forget that when it comes to exploring your sexuality, you are not the only one feeling insecure. So many people feel insecure about whether they are performing correctly, whether their body looks right, or whether their body is responding in the right way. I can promise you that it’s not just you worrying about your body; absolutely everyone is wondering the same things about themselves. With the right person, you won’t be worrying about how you look. Hopefully, you’ll be too blissed out to be worrying about anything.

5. communication is key.

In general, it is always important to communicate. What is interesting about communication is that it’s not just about communicating with others; it’s about being honest and communicating with yourself. Don’t be afraid to tell your partner when something isn’t working for you, and don’t be scared to tell your partner when you want to try something new. On the other side of communication is making sure you’re an active listener. Actively listening to what your partner is telling you and understanding what they want from you is just as important as explaining what you want from them. 

With these five things in mind, I hope you go out and have fun. These lessons can apply both in and out of the bedroom, so make sure you’re taking advantage of them to their fullest extent. It’s important to keep these things in mind so you (and your partner if you have one) can live to your heart’s content, whether that’s through a sexual relationship or not.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on  Instagram,  TwitterTikTok,  YouTube  and Pinterest! 

Hi! I am a student at Florida State University. My pronouns are she/they and I am a part of the LGBTQ+ community! My first and foremost goal is to share information that I feel will benefit everyone and make sure that everyone feels heard and seen.