The growth of social media as a marketing tool has made it incredibly easy for brands to influence our interests. By partnering with our favorite creators, having their PR team partake in new trends and posting ads in popular formats, brands have found a way to make ads look like any other post. Your feed, more likely than not, contains ads disguised as trends. Brands now have the ability to market to you anywhere, anytime and it’s working. 

Around the world, 27 percent of social media users say they use social media platforms primarily to research and find products to buy. From personal experience, young women seem to be the most susceptible to these sorts of advertisements. We comment to ask where the woman in the photo got her outfit, what bronzer she is using, what she uses to style her hair, etc. We seek out the “best” products constantly, forgetting that we have unopened bronzer at home along with clothes that we never wear. Let’s be honest, since hair products are so specific to hair type, her recommendation was not going to do you any good. Yet we still ask. We live to consume. It reaches the point of over-consumption and we begin to see damage to our wallets, our mental health and the environment, all to have the newest lip shine. 

Something I have seen recently on social media is the concept of de-influencing. There are two distinct types of this new, yet nuanced topic. The first is targeted towards creators with large followings and brand deals. These creators share their favorite products from companies they have brand deals with and make money off every like and comment. In an ironic turn of events, these people are being overshadowed by smaller creators who are stepping up to give their real opinions on the new “It” product. Just in the past couple of weeks, I have seen brutal commentary on specific products that large creators have been paid to promote. Either the formula is bad or the material is cheap. Whatever the product, it is not giving the advertised effects and some creators would rather you save your money.

The second side of de-influencing is more passive, it’s about acknowledging trend cycles but not being pulled into them. Every year there is a new metal water bottle on the market, but you shouldn’t feel pressured to drop $60 just because the one you have is no longer No. 1. This new concept heavily intrigues me and thus, I am here to (de)influence you.

Unfortunately, we cannot completely change our spending habits overnight. Adapting habits takes weeks of active effort. It requires us to monitor our behavior and the content we consume. I blocked certain creators on my social media because I felt like every post was an advertisement. I found myself scrolling through the website link in their bio trying to find the bikini from their photo. Removing this type of content from my feed has made it a lot easier to notice blatant brand deals when I occasionally come across them.

Being aware of the number of things I own also put into perspective how much of a consumer I really was. I went through my makeup to throw out expired products and came across an eyeshadow palette I used maybe once. I even searched through my closet for a specific shirt and found a skirt I cannot confidently say I’ve ever worn. Being aware of what I own and how often I use it made it easier to curb the urge to buy a new pair of jeans. Changing any habit is difficult. I used to be a nail-biter, but if you are aware of the habit you want to change and take steps to break the habit, you can succeed. 

High consumerism and materialism are also linked to adverse psychological effects including hoarding, self-esteem issues and depression. People who fall into these tendencies commonly indulge in “retail therapy” and fail to recognize their unfulfilled needs. Seeing the same brands on our feeds regularly, along with an endorsement from our favorite lifestyle creator, subconsciously inspires the desire to shop and achieve their look. Inconsistent thoughts with the self are stressors and create cognitive dissonance in the mind, which is mental discomfort resulting from holding two conflicting beliefs. Materialism also commonly arises from low self-esteem or insecurity. Fear of missing out or being rejected by society could trigger a greater tendency to make unwise purchases. In a world fueled by consumerism, we need to remain intact with ourselves and realize our bad tendencies before they take a toll on our health. 

These tendencies also negatively impact our environment. According to the U.N. panel that studies global resources, consumption is the leading driver of our environmental problems around the world today, surpassing the growth of the human population. Searching for minerals and fossil fuels on the ocean floor creates noise pollution and prevent communication channels among our ocean’s mammals. The collection of resources often results in the destruction of animal habitats and has led to the endangerment of several species globally.

Emissions resulting from fossil fuels pollute our atmosphere and directly affect human health. Certain kinds of emissions are known to be carcinogens, contribute to ground-level ozone (smog) and result in one-third of deaths from stroke and heart disease. Consumerism is not simply a lousy habit that results in poor mental health, it is actively killing our planet. We live in a consumer society dependent on more and more consumption by all of us every year. We need to push for companies to make more sustainable products while promoting recycling efforts and refillable containers. These changes could lessen our impact on the Earth, but lower consumption begins and ends with the consumer.

Consumerism and materialism levels have exceeded everyone’s expectations. We need to do our part, for the environment and for our mental well-being, to reduce our consumption and encourage more sustainable habits.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

I am pre-med and enjoy spending my free time writing. I love to roller skate, hike, and try local cuisine. I am always open to a good movie or music recommendation.