Here’s an ultimate ranking of the FSU dorms to help alleviate any stress you may have about on-campus living at FSU!

Azalea/Magnolia

These twin dorms are the newest dorms on campus. They were built in 2017 and are absolutely gorgeous. Both buildings are six stories tall and feature common area kitchens and study rooms on every floor. You can see the dining hall’s iconic bricks and Edison lights from the Azalea lobby ping pong table, making it an extremely convenient location.

Dorman/Deviney

They stand directly across from the Traditions parking garage (best parking on campus!) and The Den (our campus Denny’s restaurant). Dorman and Deviney were rebuilt in 2015, and the students LOVE them. These buildings also feature the Entrepreneurship Living Learning Community (LLC) and the Global and Public Policy LLC. This means a ton of business majors tend to wind up here. 

LAndis

Landis is, without a doubt, the prettiest building on campus. It’s located on the famous Landis Green. Built in 1939, it is one of the biggest dorms on campus and designed especially for Honors students. My favorite feature of Landis Hall has to be the “Sky Lounge,” a gorgeous study parlor that sits in between the east and west wing of the upper stories.

traditions

Traditions is the most envied dorm on campus. Traditions is an apartment-style dorm known for having private bedrooms for residents. Grad students and seniors seem to dominate Traditions Hall, so good luck to any freshman who wants to live here.

cawthon

Cawthon is a very beautiful and very haunted building. FSU’s favorite ghost stories are attributed to Cawthon Hall’s fourth floor. But, the fantastic architecture and location beat the ghosts. It’s located right next to the Strozier Library and Chick-fil-a. It is also important to note that this is the Music LLC, so get ready for many quiet hours violations due to homework! 

ragans

Ragans is another apartment-style dorm. You do have to share rooms, but you have a kitchen inside your room instead of down the hall. Ragans is located right across from the on-campus movie theater and counseling services, giving it a fun location and vibe.

Gilchrist/Broward

These buildings are the little siblings of Landis Hall. Although not as magnificent in size, these buildings are beautiful in their own right. They are near the Sweet Shop, Landis Green and are only a short walk to anywhere else.

bryan

Bryan Hall is literally the oldest building on campus and looks like a castle. It’s less than a two-second walk to Suwannee Dining Hall and has a very close-knit community. This building is only four stories tall but has two separate LLCs: The New Nole and First Gen College students.

wildwood

Wildwood is known for being the closest dorm to Doak Campbell Stadium. It’s right across the street from the stadium, Leach Gym and the Campus Rec office. It also happens to be right across from the Marching Chiefs practice field, so get ready for hearing the marching band EVERY day.

McCollum

Now, I might be a little biased because McCollum was my freshman dorm. The building isn’t pretty, it’s the only dorm not to be made of brick, and the location is not accessible to the rest of campus. But I LOVED my time here. This dorm offers a TON of space. The efficiency-style apartments give you an entire room and kitchen to yourself. The other apartment-style in the building is a two-story suite with a kitchen, living area and bath. Most impressively, McCollum is the only dorm with a porch!

salley

Everyone’s heard the horror stories from Salley Hall. But I’m here to tell you that it’s not as bad as it seems. The building is next to Seminole Cafe and across from the Psychology and Education buildings. It’s a nice location for a lot of STEM majors. It also has the biggest lobby and recreation space of all the dorms! The community you find in Salley is unlike any other dorm I have ever experienced.

Jennie/Reynolds

Right next to Bryan Hall, these buildings are nice looking. Reynolds is even attached to the ACE Learning Studio. But the floor plan is so weird! You can only access the top floor of Jennie Murphree from one half of the building, and the Reynolds rooms are known for being small.

degraff

Degraff has a beautiful courtyard, nice suites and large study rooms. This building is complementary to the architecture of Wildwood, but is still known as one of the least desirable dorms to live in. It’s across the very busy Tennessee Street, and the walking path to the central part of campus from Degraff is through a very creepy tunnel. Degraff is also located right next to The Strip nightclubs, so be ready to hear that all night, every night.

rogers

Lastly, we have Rogers Hall which kind of looks like a prison, with a brick design covering every window in the suites and apartments. This dorm offers more space than others as it has a kitchen and living space. But, it looks pretty creepy and is rumored to have a lot of maintenance issues.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Ariana White is a Tallahassee native and first-generation college student majoring in Editing, Writing and Media with a minor in Museum Studies and Public Administration at The Florida State University. She is passionate about food justice, women’s rights, arts & culture, and local politics. Ariana has been a staff writer for Her Campus at FSU since January 2021. She has written 20+ articles during her time as a staff writer and leads the column on food sustainability.