Olivia Rodrigo Breaks Records With the Release of “Drivers License”

Olivia Rodrigo, at the age of 17, has made history in the music industry. Rodrigo’s new hit song “Drivers License” is the biggest debut in Rolling Stones 100 History. The song was released on Jan. 8, 2021. On Spotify, “Drivers License” holds the record for most streams in a week and the most streams in a day. “Drivers License” was No.1 for 31 countries on Spotify. According to the New York Times, “Drivers License” was No. 1 on the Apple Music charts for 48 countries and No. 1 on the charts for 14 countries on YouTube.

vintage microphone with lights in background
Photo by Israel Palacio from Unsplash
Rodrigo has explained her love for Taylor Swift calling herself a “Swiftie.” Rodrigo has received support on her song from Swift. Rodrigo posted on Instagram a screenshot of “Drivers License” next to the song “Right Where You Left Me (bonus track)” captioning the post “next to Taylor on the US iTunes chart I’m in a puddle of tears.” To which Swift responded, “I say that’s my baby and I’m really proud.”

The song is speculated to be about Rodrigo’s co-star on High School Musical: The Musical: The Series Joshua Basset. Allegedly Basset and Rodrigo briefly dated and the song is based on Rodrigo’s heartbreak. The lyrics allude to the speculated relationship between Basset and former Disney star Sabrina Carpenter. The lyrics “And you’re probably with that blonde girl… She’s so much older than me.” Fans have speculated that these lyrics are about Carpenter since she is blonde and 21 years old making her four years older than Rodrigo. Fans have guessed that the lyrics “I got my driver’s license last week just like we always talked about” are about Basset teaching Rodrigo how to drive. In an interview, Rodrigo mentioned a time where Basset taught her how to drive in an In-N-Out restaurant parking lot. 

“Driver’s License” has become popular on the platform TikTok. Users have made videos about the theories of the song being about Basset and Carpenter, finding clips of the interview mentioned before about Basset and Rodrigo at In-N-Out, and fans have given their opinion on who the song is about. Users have also speculated that Rodrigo fell in love with Basset when she was 15 but Basset was 18 and that due to the age gap, Basset told Rodrigo that he would wait for her to be of age. However, it’s believed that Basset moved on from Rodrigo with Carpenter. However, neither Basset nor Carpenter have commented on the possible love triangle officially. Rodrigo told Billboard in an interview when asked if the song was about Basset, “I totally understand people’s curiosity with the specifics of who the song’s about, but to me that’s really the least important part of the song to me”. 

Basset has released his own song “Lie, Lie, Lie” on Jan. 14, 2021. And Carpenter has released the song “Skin” on Jan. 22, 2021. In Carpenter’s song, she allegedly alludes to Rodrigo’s lyrics “probably with that blonde girl” with the lyric “Maybe blonde was the only rhyme.” Carpenter also says in the lyrics “you’ve been telling your side, so I’ll be telling mine.” It is speculated that the song is a response to Rodrigo’s song.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitterTikTokYoutube and Pinterest!

Riley is a Sophomore majoring in Digital Media Production and minoring in Film at Florida State University. Riley studied abroad her first year of University in Valencia, Spain. When she is not writing articles for HerCampus she is found on the soccer field, tennis court, or hanging out with friends.
Her Campus at Florida State University.