November Movies and Events You Need to Go to at the SLC

I absolutely love the SLC. It’s my go-to for when I want to watch free movies in a movie theater. For those of you who haven’t been introduced to this amazing place on campus, you should know that the SLC stands for the Student Life Center. It’s a movie theater run by students at Florida State University.

Courtesy: union.fsu.edu

Not only does the SLC play movies, but they also have fun gaming events, social events and open mic nights. There’s also a Phantom Theater where they play classic movies. Sometimes they even bring special guest stars for discussion panels. This semester, they brought in Dan Murrell (writer and editor for Screen Junkies and Honest Trailers) and Alicia Malone (host for Fandango and FilmStruck). The SLC is free for FSU students with an FSU ID, $5 for general admission, and $3 for faculty/ staff and Tallahassee Film Society members.

The SLC is hosting amazing events and showing incredible movies for the month of November.

Romeo is Bleeding will be playing this month. This award-winning documentary is about a young man who uses his poetry to transcend violence in his hometown. The filmmakers made sure to capture what life is like in Richmond to tell this story properly. After the screening, there will be a Q & A with filmmaker Donté Clarke. This documentary is free for FSU, FAMU and TCC students with an FSU ID. Romeo is Bleeding will be premiering on Nov. 5  at 5 p.m. Doors open at 4 p.m., so make sure to be there early!

Courtesy: romeoisbleedingfilm.com

Dunkirk is one of those movies that have to be watched in a movie theater (Ahem, the SLC). The sound is phenomenal. Based off of an overlooked period in history, the film is about the soldiers left behind during WWII.  The movie plays from Nov. 8 at 7:30 p.m. and 10:15 p.m. You won’t want to miss it.

Courtesy: Vulture

There will also be an advanced screening of Justice League on Nov. 1556. Yes, the movie that you all have been dying to watch. The movie starts at 8:00 p.m. and doors open at 7:00 p.m. Passes will be available at the SLC very soon. A pass does not guarantee you a spot so make sure you get there really early to grab a seat.

Courtesy: Digital Spy

On Nov. 10, the SLC will be playing Popeye at the Phantom Theater. Watch this iconic character come to life starring Robin Williams. You’ll definitely want to watch this funny musical!

Courtesy: fantoosey.com 

Besides movies, the SLC also hosts Tabletop Tuesday (Nov. 14 from 6-10 p.m.) and Thursday Throwdown (Nov. 9 at 6 p.m.) this month. These are fun gaming events where you have the chance to hang out with friends and meet new people with similar interests. Play some fun board games during Tabletop Tuesday. Thursday Throwdown is the perfect time to show off your great Super Smash Bros. skills.

The SLC has something for everyone. There are so many more amazing films and fun events this November. Take a look at their full schedule here.

Carelyn is a student at Florida State University. She's double majoring in Editing, Writing, Media and Humanities. Carelyn loves pastel colors, thought-provoking books, and exploring the beautiful world.  
Her Campus at Florida State University.