The Queen B, Beyoncé, has been an international sensation since the early 2000s. She was first nominated for a Grammy in 2004 for Record of the Year and has since been nominated 59 times. Beyoncé was able to go into this year’s Grammy Awards already having 19 Grammy wins under her belt. She and her family have been in the spotlight for quite some time. 

Beyonce and Jay-Z’s daughter, Blue Ivy, has been in the media her entire life. Blue Ivy received her first major award only two days after her birth when TIME dubbed her the “most famous baby in the world.” Blue Ivy was also named “Princess of Pop” by Rolling Stone when her father Jay-Z featured her infant cries in his song, “Glory” in 2012. Following the release of “Brown Skin Girl” in 2019, Blue Ivy received the BET Her Award, the Soul Train Music Video of The Year Award for the Ashford & Simpson Songwriter’s Award, and the NAACP Image Award Ceremony’s Oustanding Duo or Group Award. 

But this year is different. 

Beyonce at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Cliff Lipson / CBS

Beyoncé is the Most Grammy-Nominated Female Artist ever as of this year with nine nominations in eight different categories! Even more unique than that distinction, this year’s Grammy Awards was a family event for the Carter family. 

This year it was not only Beyoncé or her husband Jay Z in the spotlight, but their nine-year-old daughter, Blue Ivy Carter as well. Last year, Blue Ivy collaborated with her mother, WizKID, and SAINt JHN for the song and music video, “Brown Skin Girl” while she was eight years old. The video was released six months ago and was featured in Beyonce’s musical film Black is King, which can be found on Disney+. The song is a statement. The lyrics describe a celebration and appreciation of their melanin as they sing, “I wouldn’t trade you.” In the song, Blue Ivy can be heard echoing her mother as they sing the lyrics: “Brown skin girl. Your skin just like pearls. The best thing in the world.” 

The music video begins by showcasing Black and Brown-skinned mothers and daughters playing games and embracing. The video then moves into highlighting the beauty of more melanin blessed women dancing at a debutante event in white dresses and pearls. It then transitions to family photos of the artists in a garden and photos of Beyoncé exhibiting different African fashion trends and styles. The video features Lupita Nyong’o and Kelly Rowland who are two other famous faces alongside Beyoncé and Blue Ivy to represent Black female empowerment. This music video is a celebration of Black Excellence. 

Most recently on Sunday, Beyoncé, Blue Ivy and WizKid won Best Music Video, making her the second-youngest person to ever receive a Grammy Award at only nine years old for the 2020 music video. Then eight year old, Leah Peasall of the Peasall sisters still holds the record for being the youngest person to ever win a Grammy Award for Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? in 2002 for Album of The Year. Beyoncé made a surprise appearance at the socially distanced Grammy Award this year to explain her feelings about the special award in this adorable quote, “I know my daughter is watching. Blue, congratulations—she won a Grammy tonight. I’m so proud of you. I’m so honored to be your mommy, all of your mommies. Y’all are my babies.”

Blue Ivy has her whole career ahead of her and shows no signs of stopping her creative hobbies. Fans cannot wait to see what she has in store for the future and wish her all the luck. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Ariana White is a Tallahassee native and first-generation college student majoring in Editing, Writing and Media with a minor in Museum Studies and Public Administration at The Florida State University. She is passionate about food justice, women’s rights, arts & culture, and local politics. Ariana has been a staff writer for Her Campus at FSU since January 2021. She has written 20+ articles during her time as a staff writer and leads the column on food sustainability.
Her Campus at Florida State University.