In light of Texas’s new abortion law, Senate Bill 8, which is nearly a complete ban on abortion in their state, a march is said to take place on Oct. 2. Texas Senate Bill 8 does not allow women to get an abortion after six weeks. It’s yet another restriction on women’s rights, specifically on their reproductive rights, and what they do with their bodies.

This abortion law proves to be a problem because most women do not know they are not pregnant until after that threshold, in fact, Texas itself admitted to having 80 to 90 percent abortions after the six weeks prior to the statement of this law. Additionally, this abortion law has very few ways to get around it, not even allowing women who have been assaulted and raped any leeway.

What is Senate Bill 8?

Senate Bill 8, as stated before, is almost a complete ban on abortion in Texas. To summarize, it stops the aiding and imbedding in any way, shape, or form of abortion after the six-week mark. At this mark, cardiac activity begins to be detected and abortion is no longer legal. The law has an exception for ‘medical emergencies,’ but has yet to define them and does not include any exceptions for rape or incest-related pregnancies.

Additionally, this law can potentially be extended outside of Texas borders. This is because people can take legal action against someone who helps a Texan get an abortion. This law ties the hand of doctors and other clinics as well as the hands of many judges. People who choose to take legal action against someone who helps a patient can receive reimbursement. Furthermore, there is a section that states if one part of the law is rejected or falls, the rest will still stand.

Taking Action

In response to the Texas abortion law, women have established a nationwide protest to take place on Oct. 2. The march is said to be in all 50 states to mobilize and defend women’s reproductive rights. The Women’s March did not start because of this new abortion law; it has been an ongoing organization. Its mission statement ends by stating, “The Women’s March is committed to dismantling systems of oppression through nonviolent resistance and building inclusive structures guided by self-determination, dignity and respect.”

The last Women’s March was held on Jan. 21, 2017. This was in response to statements that former president Donald Trump had made, challenging his misogynistic statements. This lead to advocacy for human rights amongst other things such as sexual assault, discrimination and other inequality. This was one of the largest single-day protests in the United States. The Women’s March works to form this same unity on Oct. 2, two days before the Supreme Court reassemble.

These changes are underway in Texas, and who knows what is to come for the other states. The website to look into Women’s March mission and principles as well as how to get involved can be found at womensmarch.com.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

FSU student majoring in Psychology currently on the pre-med track. I love the Fine Arts, specifically dance, which has been a part of my life since the age of three. I enjoy music, tv, and have found a new joy in writing and reading.