Everyone struggles getting acclimated to college their freshman year—between feeding yourself to doing laundry to making friends. Thankfully, many universities, including Florida State University (FSU), have freshman class outreach programs that help those new high school grads get involved at their college. However, what about those students who transfer to a new college later in their academic careers? Enter FSU’s Office of Transfer Student Services, designed to enhance the experience of incoming transfer students.

“Transfer students often find it harder to identify their community spaces at their new institution in addition to issues engaging with resources offered by that institution,” said Brandon Saridjo, the graduate intern in the Office of Transfer Student Services. Students suffer “transfer shock,” not only academically but also emotionally. A study from the Journal of College Student Psychotherapy found more significant depression (e.g., hopelessness, social isolation, sadness, crying), social anxiety (e.g., discomfort around people; feeling judged or disliked interpersonally), academic distress, family distress and general emotional distress experiences amongst transfer students than non-transfer students. Many transfer students also experience imposter syndrome, where they feel like they do not belong in the community. However, the activities from the Transfer Student Services help these students meet students just like them.

One of the transfer student organizations is the Transfer Geniuses, who are previous transfer students at FSU, are paired with and mentor the newest FSU transfers. This way, when new transfer students come to FSU, they automatically have a community with peers in similar situations as them. Each month, the Transfer Geniuses hold a Roundtable event where new and previous transfer students share their experiences and advice typically based around a certain topic. 

This month, the Roundtable theme was self-advocacy, where students discussed how they take the lead in their academics, relationships and physical and mental health. Students were able to learn from others while also imparting their personal accounts with others. Many participants ask others for help and their opinions on certain academic or personal situations. These Roundtables “get them engaged with the amazing resources offered at Florida State such as the ACE Learning Studio, the Career Center, Counseling and Psychological Services,” said Saridjo.

Looking forward, the Office of Transfer Student Services is looking to hold more engagement events for current and incoming transfer students, especially those from Tallahassee Community College. Two students, Erin Edwards and Morgan Robertson, are working on setting up a mental health awareness week for transfer students. The event will focus on accessing professional assistance, self-care and fun stress-relief activities on campus available to all students.

Additionally, the Journal of College Student Psychotherapy study concluded that “transfer students had a lower level of athletic and campus organization involvement (2.8 percent vs. 10.7 percent identified as athletes, and 2.98 versus 5.27 hours of [campus organization] involvement.” Students are looking to go to sporting events and on-campus events together to improve transfer student involvement. This involvement is also looking to improve the transfer students’ sense of community and belonging at FSU.

If you or someone you know is a transfer student and would like more information, check out the FSU Office of Transfer Student Services website. Roundtable events will resume in person in the Spring 2022 semester.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

Erin is a senior at FSU majoring in Criminology minoring in International Affairs. In addition to Her Campus, she is involved in Transfer Genius program, Leadership LOGIC, and studied abroad in Italy Fall 2022. Erin enjoys being spending time with friends, cooking, and catching up on reality television.