The New Wave of Supermodels

Tyra. Heidi. Gisele. Iman. These names can give you an immediate vision of who I’m referencing without even including a surname. That is definitely supermodel status. These women have made history in the fashion industry throughout the spans of their careers. Although their steps could never be imitated, there is an upcoming wave of supermodels that are on their way to making history as well.

Gigi Hadid is an emerging model taking pride in her body and promoting positive body image among young girls. When confronted with criticism of her body, she publicly shut down body shamers on her Instagram page, stating, “Yes, I have boobs, I have abs, I have a butt, I have thighs… If I didn’t have the body I do, I wouldn’t have the career I do. I love that I can be sexy. I’m proud of it.” Gigi is a breath of fresh air in an industry where thigh gaps are praised and womanly curves are frowned upon. Her confidence spreads throughout the entire fashion industry and to the girls who admire her.

Courtesy: IMG Models

Another model working her way up in the industry is a name you have surely heard before. Kendall Jenner, as most of us know, comes from Kardashian fame but is making her name known outside of her family’s reputation. Her entry into the modeling industry was met with scrutiny from others as she was viewed as using her family’s name as a security blanket. However, she has proved that she has the talent and chops to make a lasting impact on the fashion world. Recently she nabbed a spot on one of the four Vogue Paris magazine covers alongside fellow supermodels Kate Moss, Gisele Bündchen and Christy Turlington. The magazine, with “95 Years of Legends” displayed across the cover, puts Kendall in good company among some of the best in the industry.

Courtesy: Fashionista

You might recognize the next face, as she was one of the stars of Beyoncé’s music video, Yoncé. Chanel Iman has been a popular model for a few years, but is now starting to branch out to other endeavors such as acting, which she displayed in the 2015 film, Dope. Although she is best known as a Victoria’s Secret angel, she has gone on to add names like Yves Saint Laurent and Stella McCartney to her resume as well. Chanel has also lent her philanthropic efforts to USAID in hopes of raising awareness of the 2011 drought in East Africa.

Courtesy: Mook Cool

Last, but certainly not least, is supermodel Karlie Kloss. Karlie Kloss has been working in the industry for years, so she is definitely not a newcomer. The 23-year-old has been modeling since she was a teenager with projects for Abercrombie Kids and Marc Jacobs. Over the years, she has worked with designers such as Christian Dior and Elie Saab, and has also spent some time fluttering the Victoria’s Secret angel wings. She recently played a part in Taylor Swift’s all-girl entourage for the music video Bad Blood and currently has her own YouTube channel called Klossy. Earlier this year, Karlie paired with Flatiron School and Code.org to offer scholarships to young girls interested in coding with the catchy title “Kode with Karlie.” In addition to this, she has also exhibited her philanthropy through Karlie’s Kookies, which were sold during Fashion’s Night Out with a portion of the proceeds used to supply meals for hungry children around the globe.

Courtesy: Fashion Gone Rogue

Although the new wave of supermodels is making strides in the fashion industry, the classic supermodels we know and will forever love have paved the way. These new up and coming models continue to incite change and progressive thinking in the fashion industry by breaking through traditional molds. As young girls frequently look up to models, it is important that beauty and success begin to take shape in a multitude of forms.

Her Campus at Florida State University.