New Decade, New Movies: Films Set to Release in 2020

Here we are yet again at the end of another year. Before we know it, 2020 will begin and of course, along with the new year comes new movies! From action to drama to horror, 2020 has a lot to offer fans of all genres. Get the inside scoop on movies set to release each month of the upcoming year.

January

Courtesy: Orion Pictures

Jan. 24: The Gentlemen

A British–American action-comedy starring Matthew McConaughey, Charlie Hunnam, Henry Goulding, Colin Farrell and Hugh Grant.

Jan. 31: Gretel and Hansel

A new spin on the classic tale starring Sophia Lillis, Jessica De Gouw and Charles Babalola.

February

Courtesy: Warner Bros.

Feb. 7: Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of Harley Quinn)

An inside look at the Joker-free life of Harley Quinn starring Margot Robbie, Ewan McGregor and Mary Elizabeth Winstead.  

Feb. 28: The Invisible Man

A science-fiction horror adaptation of a novel by the same name starring Elizabeth Moss, Storm Reid and Oliver-Jackson Cohen.

March

Courtesy: Vanity Fair

March 20: A Quiet Place 2

The sequel to the original horror film by John Krasinski, starring Emily Blunt and Cillian Murphy.

March 27: Mulan

The long-awaited live-action film from Disney starring Liu Yifei, Donnie Yen and Jet Li.

April

Courtesy: DreamWorks

April 3: Fatherhood

This drama is about a single dad struggling to raise his daughter and is starring Kevin Hart, Anthony Carrigan and Alfre Woodard.

April 17: Trolls World Tour

From DreamWorks Animation and Universal Pictures, this is the sequel to Trolls starring Anna Kendrick, Justin Timberlake and James Corden.

May

Courtesy: ScreenRant

May 1: Black Widow

The stand-alone movie about the story of Marvel’s Black Widow is starring Scarlett Johansson, Ryoko Yonekura and Vanessa Marshall.

May 8: Legally Blonde 3

The much-anticipated third installment starring Reese Witherspoon, Alanna Ubach and Jessica Cauffiel.

June

Courtesy: Innersplendor

June 5: Wonder Woman 1984

DC Comic’s next installment starring Gal Gadot, Chris Pine and Kristen Wiig.

June 26: Top Gun: Maverick

The much-hyped sequel starring Tom Cruise, Val Kilmer and Miles Teller.

July

Courtesy: ScreenRant

July 10: Untitled Ghostbusters

A new rendition of the cult-classic directed by Jason Reitman starring Finn Wolfhard, Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd.

July 24: Jungle Cruise

Another live-action Disney film starring Emily Blunt, Dwayne Johnson and Jack Whitehall.

August

Courtesy: Collider

Aug. 7: The Empty Man

A supernatural horror film based on a book of the same name starring Owen Teague, James Badge Dale and Samantha Logan.

Aug. 14: The One and Only Ivan

An animated comedy based on the book of the same name starring Angelina Jolie, Bryan Cranston and Helen Mirren.

September

Courtesy: ScreenRant

Sep. 11: Untitled Conjuring

Another installment to the horror franchise starring Vera Farmiga, Patrick Wilson and Charlene Amoia.

Sep. 25: Last Night in Soho

A psychological horror film starring Anya-Taylor Joy, Matt Smith and Thomasin McKenzie.

October

Courtesy: The Hollywood Reporter

Oct. 9: Death on the Nile

A murder mystery starring Kenneth Branagh, Gal Gadot and Archie Hammer.

Oct. 16: The Witches

A dark fantasy comedy starring Anne Hathaway, Octavia Spencer and Stanley Tucci.

November

Courtesy: Eklecty City

Nov. 6: Eternals

Another addition to the Marvel superhero franchise starring Richard Madden, Angelina Jolie and Kit Harrington.

Nov. 25: Raya and the Last Dragon

A new Disney animated film starring Awkwafina and Cassie Steele.

December

Courtesy: Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, Inc

Dec. 18: West Side Story

This well-known musical will be adapted for the screen once more and will star Ansel Elgort, Rachel Zegler and Rita Moreno.

Dec. 23: The Croods 2

A sequel to the original animated film starring Emma Stone, Nicholas Cage and Ryan Reynolds.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Her Campus at Florida State University.