Wellness

My Goals for Summer 2020 That Have Nothing to Do With My Body

Every year, I see the same goals plastered all over social media that surround what a “summer body” is and how women need to have a “beach body.” I’m not shaming other women for what they eat or their goals, but I’m getting extremely tired of this idea that to enjoy life and have fun you have to be a certain size or weigh a certain amount. The fact is that every body is a beach body. There is nothing that you have to do or be to enjoy your life or wear a swimsuit. So, here are my goals for the summer that has nothing to do with what I look like or what my size is.

1. Read Five Books

When I was in high school, I read over 100 books a year. This is not an exaggeration; I looked at my Goodreads and during my junior year of high school I read 103 books. Ever since I started college, I’m lucky if I read 12 books a year. Although I may not spend as much time in class in college as I did in high school, I now have a part-time job, extracurriculars and social commitments to juggle. I definitely want to re-read the beginning of the Harry Potter series so that is high on my list. Also, my favorite used bookstore is here in my hometown, which means once everything starts opening up again, I will definitely be getting my used book fix. I also love Thrift Books when I need an online option to buy some used books.

2. Five Star Island on Animal Crossing

Just like a lot of people, I have been playing a lot of Animal Crossing while social distancing. I’ve been playing Animal Crossing since I was very little, and I think New Horizons is my favorite edition of the game. I love expressing my creativity through the island and really, just everything about this game. Right now I have a three-star island and I definitely want to get to a five-star one. Especially because you get a super cute and special flower for getting to one.

3. Closet Cleanout​

I brought the majority of my clothes home for the summer and I definitely need to go through them. I haven’t really gone through my clothes since high school and I can tell. A lot of my clothes aren’t my style anymore and my drawers are beginning to get overfilled. Now that I’m in my twenties and have a completely different style than high school, I think my closet is well over-due for a major cleanout. I know that I will definitely buy some new clothes for the summer and fall and there is going to be no space unless I utilize Marie Kondo’s advice and get rid of anything that doesn’t spark joy.

4. Learn the Adobe Suite

My goal when I graduate is to work in the marketing field, and the majority of job positions require that you are confident in utilizing the Adobe Suite. I know the basics, but what time is better than now to learn the ins and outs of this software so that I can confidently apply to those internships and jobs when I need them. You can join Skillshare with a two-month free trial, and I know there have to be some Adobe tutorials. I think summer is definitely the time to improve my skills!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest!

Melissa Kuntzman is a senior double majoring in Editing, Writing and the Media and Political Science. When she's not reading for class, you can find her binge-watching Korean dramas or perfecting her homemade Mac & Cheese recipe.
Her Campus at Florida State University.