My Goals For and How I’m Making the Most of Quarantine

As we wrap-up week seven of quarantine and because I create a list of goals for myself each semester, I have decided to use this opportunity to reflect upon those that I have set and what I have accomplished or am currently working on during this time of social distancing.

Cut Dairy Out of my Diet

As someone who used to be vegan and is moderately lactose-intolerant, the inclusion of dairy in my diet for the past few years has NOT been a sustainable choice for me. Though I have never been one to drink milk by the glass or straight-up eat a block of cheese (no shade), cutting dairy out of my diet has cleared my skin up, reduced bloating, and has all-together made me feel so much healthier. If you’re struggling with any of these things, I highly suggest removing or reducing the amount of dairy in your diet – it has completely changed the way I feel about myself.

Learn to Love being Single

This one has admittedly been a bit more difficult for me. Because I don’t have much experience being single, let alone being single for a world-wide pandemic, I was not used to the whole self-isolation concept. This is not to say that I don’t love my independence, I do; I just suppose I needed to accept the freedom that is singlehood (singledom?) and begin embracing it and myself. I’m now all the happier knowing that every bit of validation, confidence and happiness I previously received from a partner can be found within myself.

Work-Out Every Day

I have never been someone that works out regularly but now that I have “all the time in the world” to focus on my health and wellness (Florida State University gym pun), I have been working out each and every day, and am never going back! Whether it’s a 10-minute yoga flow, an intense ab circuit, or going for a walk around my neighborhood, staying active has not only kept me toned and healthy but has given me a productive outlet for my energy and noticeably increased my mood. 

silhouette of woman doing yoga pose
Kike Vega

Read a Book (or Four)

As an English major, a break from literature sounds appealing, but reading has always been a creative outlet for me and, as such, I wanted to start reading a book every month. Going into week eight of quarantine I have read a single book in its entirety and plan on starting another as soon as finals are over. Sitting down with a novel on the beach in the summer has always been a source of bliss for me that I hope to continue despite the circumstances.

Establish and Stick to New Routines

During the semester, I am more or less confined to a limited routine. I wake up, go to my classes, eat lunch and dinner at the house, go to work, attend meetings, and come home to go to sleep. However, quarantine has completely flipped my schedule on its head and, as such, I have decided to adjust my morning and night-time routines accordingly. And though these new routines consist of many of the things I have always done, I have been focused on pampering myself and doing what feels natural when it feels natural. For me, these routines have become my sense of normalcy and have genuinely improved my quality of quarantine.

Maintain Long-Distance Friendships

I’ll be the first to say it, sometimes I can be an “out of sight out of mind” friend but being away from the people I’m closest with for the first time in two years has me shook. I have made it a priority to talk to each of my friends at least once a day, whether it’s a simple Snapchat, a thoughtful text or an hour facetime, connecting with my friends, even from 300 miles away, has kept me focused on the future and entertained.

I know that everyone has different priorities for this time, but I hope you’re all doing the things you love and loving the things you do. We’ve got this!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

Grace is a junior at THE Florida State double majoring in Media Communication Studies and Editing, Writing, & Media in hopes of pursuing a career in Media Relations. She is an avid reader, writer and podcast connoisseur, loves to travel, and is a self-proclaimed master planner.
Her Campus at Florida State University.