Dear (Future) Me,

Remember the last time you wrote something like this? Your eighth grade English class where you talked about a quiz grade and your crazy teacher. This letter is not going to talk about simple things like that because your past self – me – has worked so hard to get you where you are. I’m struggling right now though – I’m trying to pave the road for you, but I am sacrificing so many important things in my life. I hope you understand why I needed to take a step back.

I am writing this letter because I understand what you are going through and how hard you work for the little things. I want you to know that it doesn’t go unnoticed – people in your life always see the things you do. I sometimes feel that I am unworthy of some of the praise I receive, but people have shown me that I am worthy. And, because I know my worth, you are appreciated and loved by everyone in your life. 

Sophomore year is almost over, and even though I’m excited, these next few years are critical for our college career, and I’m worried about my handle on the situation. Self-care has never been a part of my routine, but recently, I have taken steps to start and include it in my everyday routine because it is so necessary. My routine isn’t perfect, but by the time you read this, I’m sure it will be. Just make sure you keep working at it, I know I am.

Self-care is always important – past, present and future – but it is something I lose sight of when I am busy or stressed. Recently, it has gotten really bad, but it’s okay, I’m working on it. I have a great support system that has reminded me of who I am and has helped keep me on track. You need to be careful because I know you – when things get tough, you let your unconscious take the wheel. When this happens, you aren’t yourself, and you end up even more upset than how you started. I hope you aren’t losing sight of yourself or your self-care needs because they’re the reason you have gotten so far in life. 

This summer is probably our most hectic summer yet – with orientation and traveling, breaks and vacation time is almost non-existent. Like every other hectic part of your life, you have to remember to take as much time as you can to relax and calm down. 

If I didn’t believe that we could make a difference, you wouldn’t be as successful as you are.  You just need to remember to believe in yourself and your purpose. There will always be a challenge you need to face, but knowing me and knowing you, I know that we will be able to overcome anything thrown at us.

Love you as much as I love you.

Courtesy: Giphy

Remember, you are worthy, and you are loved.

Sincerely,

You & I

Nicole van der Sommen is a Junior studying Editing, Writing & Media at Florida State University. She loves taco nights with her friends and changes her hair color more than she changes shoes. She loves reading Harry Potter (for the billionth time) and to knit, often.
Her Campus at Florida State University.